Lost the icon for volume on Windows 7

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
pambon

Lost the icon for volume on Windows 7

Post by pambon »

I have followed all the advice I found on the internet, which thankfully was easy to do, but to no avail. Not only that but the volume icon was not even mentioned among the things I could put on my task bar.
Any ideas as to where it is and how to get it back onto my taskbar, please?
pambon

Post by pambon »

I finally found the volume icon by searching for 'volume icon' in the start box. It shows as inactive, but when I click on that it does not budge from INACTIVE. I am unable to make it ACTIVE.
Suggestions.....
CSE

Post by CSE »

Not quite sure what has happened, however this how we havea way to customise icons on the taskbar.
either go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Notification Area Icons or right click the task bar this brings up a box "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" Clicking on customize will bring the same Control Panel as above. From this you can customise the icons.
There is also a help on the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
CSE

Post by CSE »

the UP and down arrows on the keyboard changes the volume just as dragging the indicator with the mouse.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Done it,but Volume doesn't even appear among the possibilities.
The only time I can actually get Volume to appear in the Icon Notification Area is when I type the request into the start box and that particular window of Icon Notification Area appears showing it. All other similar windows from any other source do not even show Volume as a possibility.
CSE

Post by CSE »

At the bottom of the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Notification Area Icons you will see Turn System Icons on or Off.
Click that and ensure that the icons you want are ON
pambon

Post by pambon »

Done that too. All sorts of icons came on that I'm not interested in but not volume...
Should say the volume was not among the icons listed on the notifications....

Edited once to
Add second paragraph
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Pambon
This could be pure coincidence but I lost my sound icon on the task bar the other day too. I couldn't get it back either, but the next day, having closed down, it had miraculously just reappeared. :?
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Bottom right hand of the tray on home page there should be an arrow - hovver your mouse over it, it should say 'hidden icons' . Open it up. click on 'customise' - this will open a box with a list. The 'Speakers/Volume' icon should be on the list.

See what it is set to - & reverse it. shut it down. Open it up again & set it to what you want. shut it down, restart PC. it should be in the tray when it reboots.

Works for me - mine seems to disappear about once every 2 months!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I don't seem to have that arrow, but I just realised I'm on window 8 and not 7, sorry!
CSE

Post by CSE »

"Bottom right hand of the tray on home page" Try hard to understand what this means. Home page is not related to home computer it is more related to the internet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_page

Now the following solutions are more technical. If you are not confident in messing this deep inside the operation system (windoze), then please do not attempt these repairs.
http://ccm.net/faq/6564-windows-volume-icon-missing
kg1

Post by kg1 »

casasantoestevo wrote:"Bottom right hand of the tray on home page" Try hard to understand what this means. Home page is not related to home computer it is more related to the internet.

Now the following solutions are more technical. If you are not confident in messing this deep inside the operation system (windoze), then please do not attempt these repairs.
Sorry - was trying to make it simple.

"In the tray at bottom of screen oi right hand corner"

I am not techy - just saying what works for me on a regular basis.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

kyreniagirl wrote:
casasantoestevo wrote:"Bottom right hand of the tray on home page" Try hard to understand what this means. Home page is not related to home computer it is more related to the internet.

Sorry - was trying to make it simple.

"In the tray at bottom of screen oi right hand corner"

I am not techy - just saying what works for me on a regular basis.
I might not have had the arrow, but I understood your language KG!

:wink: :lol:
pambon

Post by pambon »

kyreniagirl wrote:Bottom right hand of the tray on home page there should be an arrow - hovver your mouse over it, it should say 'hidden icons' . Open it up. click on 'customise' - this will open a box with a list. The 'Speakers/Volume' icon should be on the list.

See what it is set to - & reverse it. shut it down. Open it up again & set it to what you want. shut it down, restart PC. it should be in the tray when it reboots.

Works for me - mine seems to disappear about once every 2 months!
KG when I first noticed the icon was missing (because I wanted to turn off the sound of an advert...) I clicked on the arrow but the volume icon was missing from the icons that came up. Now after trying various methods I have a task bar of unwanted icons (ugh!)
And no arrow.......

Tomorrow I will drop the laptop off at my IT guru and let them find the icon and remove the unwanted ones which I have been unable to do.

I hate hi-tech .
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Pambon, you should install something like Team Viewer and then your IT guru can simply fix things remotely without the need to take it anywhere.