Please review my site - Vellum Court in Hampshire

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
nboxall

Please review my site - Vellum Court in Hampshire

Post by nboxall »

My wife and I are currently in the process of buying a second home which should complete before Christmas.

We'd like to rent it out for part of the year so have put together a web site in preparation for that.

www.VellumCourt.co.uk

As we're not actually in yet I don't have any photo's of the internal rooms with furniture, but this will come later when we can move in.

All constructive criticism will be very gratefully received !
Nigel & Jenny
Last edited by nboxall on Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Very smart site. I haven't read it all, so my comments are from 20 feet up. I did like the eating out section. Really nice pictures of all the establishments too. Very inviting.

General layout and navigation was easy. I think all your photos are excellent quality (wish I had some that good).

But why that dark slate background ? Its very sombre and depressing - reminds us how dull and gray it can be in England. I'm sure thats not what you wanted, so I'd suggest a very light pastel shade (light blue, or if that clashes with your purple banner, then something like lilac or why not even plain white !)

Another issue, was why you send people off to (or back to) Owner's Direct for bookings. Why not invite enquiries directly ? It seems like you may be saying "Well if you don't like this flat, you'll find many others to choose from at OD". Ditto all your links are for alternative accomodation - why and what does it add to your web presence ?

More questions than answers, but hope it adds to the pool of thoughts.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

I like the site in general, first thoughts that come to mind are:

I actually like the slate grey myself.

I wasn't keen on three separate click throughs to other pages on the front page, prefer it to just be at the top, for some reason I personally found myself trying to decide which one to click on and then found they took me to the same pages as would the navigation at the top, so a bit overkill for me.

Agree, why direct people back to the competition with an owners direct link.

Loved the eating out page in general but found the text a bit overkill and long winded in parts, could be more succinct.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Nigel and Jenny, hi

Cool site - simple and logical - liked it.

Running a spell-checker wouldn't be a waste of time, and a few typos and comments:

Home page

1) 'comprising six' instead of 'comprising of six'

2) Electronicically ??

3) Would a non-Brit know what 'a mainline' is?

Details page

4) 'Detials' to correct

5) 'though' not needed

5a) 'is current being fitted out' needs 'currently'

5b) Change 'complete' to 'completed'

Places to Visit page

6) 'its' instead of 'it's'

7) change 'ridding' to 'riding'

8) Time to Waterloo is 1hr10mins here and 1hr 15min elsewhere

Eating Out page

9) 'From wine bars.....run that sentence through to the next....to tea-rooms' as it needs a verb

Availability and Booking

10) 'Owners Direct web site is responsible for all availability and booking enquiries' - actually it isn't, you are. You've got their logo, so perhaps alongside just stick:

'For availability and booking enquiries'

11) 'Enquires' needs a tweak to 'enquiries' (twice on that page)

Havant Page

12) Not photographic panoramas, they're not. Perhaps photogenic?

Hope that helps. Don't know what that Smiley is up there - can't get rid of it.....

MGoat
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

It's a while since I commented on a website, but the name of the property caught my eye,and the fact that it's in the UK! Super development, and the apartment likewise! I really like the website, and the photography, as someone else mentioned, is excellent. Loved the use of the panoramic shot there.

I actually don't mind the grey, as it reflects 'class'. But it's the purple that doesn't do it for me - or rather, that particular shade of purple. I can see why you used it - to relieve the grey, and to catch the eye; maybe all it needs is a bit more experimentation within the same spectrum?

The colour of the window frames etc is an attractive (historic? Farrow and Ball?) shade of green, and it would have been nice to have reflected that somewhere on the pages. But quite where, and how... :? One idea might be to swap a darker shade of that for the grey, then find something snappy to coordinate with it - one of those other shades of purple I mentioned would still work.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. You could always play about with colour options and ask the forum for more feedback.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Wow, does this take me back. As a child, I lived on Hayling Island and rode my bike to the station in Havant to catch the train to Peterfield, where I was at school. I remember this building well.

Recent visits to the area (my sister still lives close by) make me aware of the scale of the development in the Havant area but you've cleverly photographed scenes that invoke the 'old village' feel that I remember from years ago.

I have some reservations about some of the photographs but I think the overall feel of the website is excellent. Not 'too' slickly professional but not amateurish either, a good balance. Gives the impression the owner was closely involved.

The first three pictures on the front page do need your attention because, if you don't hold visitors here, they'll be off. The picture of Vellum Court embedded in the header is a bit too stark - perhaps some flowers in baskets or a couple talking at the door or maybe shot in the evening with all the interior lights on. Something, at least, to invoke a fresh, warm and welcoming feel. The tight crop of the little bridge doesn't work for me in any way. The lovely shot of the buildings at Langstone on the sealine is compromised by being too blue - I'd pump in some yellow to make it warmer and more cheery.

I wish you every success with your project. (Wow, I've become again that little ginger chap in short pants fighting his way across Langstone brige in the winter gales on a bike several sizes too big!)

Jim
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

All I can do is echo the comments above; nice development and nice website!

My only comments are also on the colours chosen. Personally I'm a simple soul (as I'm sure many here will agree :wink: ) and like to keep the number of different colours in use to a minimum.

No real problem with the grey background (although a subtle pinstripe might work better maybe?), but then you have the purple for the header and the taupe (?) for the pullout boxes. On a personal level I would have them in the same colour or, at the very least, complementary shades of the same colour.

Gascony's idea about the 'heritage' shades sounded good to me, although I would probably stay clear of a green/purple combination, very Wimbledon Tennis!

But kudos is due, a very nice site, it only needs a little tweaking to make it absolutely stunning! :)
AndyLucia
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!
nboxall

Post by nboxall »

I've only recently found this website and forum in the last few days. What a discovery! I'm amazed at the quality of the feedback you have all given me - including the full spell check from Mountain Goat - thank you so much.

I've fixed all the typo's, but it's going to take more time to work out a more appropriate colour scheme.

Thanks again - and obviously if there's any more comments they would be welcome.
riovino

Post by riovino »

What a great looking place, I love the interior finish. I also like the artistic angles on many of your photos.

Your Eating Out page is great. I appreciate the fact that you describe the atmosphere as well as the menu. As a potential renter, seeing such a thoughtful report on area restaurants would give me confidence that your dwelling would be equally well planned and provisioned.

- Matt