Asking for facebook likes - the wrong answer now?

Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Linkedin, Youtube, TikTok, etc.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

arkvilla wrote: when someone likes my page often one of their friends see it and they also like it and so on.
Is that right arkvilla? I thought your friends only saw things that you shared, not liked. I'm hopeless on Facebook.... :? Need to get to grips with it more.
arkvilla
Location: Highgate Park, Florida (the Villa) we live in Essex, UK

Post by arkvilla »

Bunny wrote:
arkvilla wrote: when someone likes my page often one of their friends see it and they also like it and so on.
Is that right arkvilla? I thought your friends only saw things that you shared, not liked. I'm hopeless on Facebook.... :? Need to get to grips with it more.
On your profile (unless you have hidden your likes, groups etc) there is a box on the right which says recent Activity and it is there that it can be seen or on the persons likes tab :)
aasta

Post by aasta »

Our business page has lots of likes mostly from former guests but have never received a reservation via FB...

I still don't "get" Facebook so rarely venture there and rarely post anything on our business page. Never post anything on my personal page. When I do log on to personal page, I'm mostly interested in posts from Slow Food, Greenpeace etc .

Whenever a thread comes up on LMH regarding these Social Media sites, a bit of motivation kicks in that I should learn to understand it all more....motivation does not last long...... am probably loosing out on potential new reservation venues????
aasta
JaneV

Post by JaneV »

That's a very good point. Even if we like a page and immediately unfollow it, our 'like' is seen by our friends and in some cases that is literally hundreds of people!

The other point is although I can't follow every single property, the likes I gave were genuine likes for the page and property at my time of viewing. Maybe I've got this wrong but I often 'like' pages for what they represent, not just because I want to follow them.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

arkvilla wrote:
Bunny wrote:
On your profile (unless you have hidden your likes, groups etc) there is a box on the right which says recent Activity and it is there that it can be seen or on the persons likes tab :)
Doh, now I feel really stupid. I had everything set to friends only. No wonder I'm not getting any response/activity from my posts. Thanks arkvilla!
JaneV

Post by JaneV »

I have received 'likes' on my business page from friends of friends so it definitely works. I also see the 'likes' of various friends on my personal page so this is definitely a big consideration for gaining more likes. I can't see in any way that a 'like' can be detrimental.
arkvilla
Location: Highgate Park, Florida (the Villa) we live in Essex, UK

Post by arkvilla »

Bunny wrote:
arkvilla wrote:
Bunny wrote: Is that right arkvilla? I thought your friends only saw things that you shared, not liked. I'm hopeless on Facebook.... :? Need to get to grips with it more.
Doh, now I feel really stupid. I had everything set to friends only. No wonder I'm not getting any response/activity from my posts. Thanks arkvilla!
You're welcome, you can set to friends of friends if you don't want to set as public :-)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

JaneV wrote:I have received 'likes' on my business page from friends of friends so it definitely works. I also see the 'likes' of various friends on my personal page so this is definitely a big consideration for gaining more likes. I can't see in any way that a 'like' can be detrimental.
It's not detrimental at the time but if they unfollow you, potentially they will never see your post, never interact, and become a dead like. Your reach will then be affected by your inactive likers. It's a complex issue and not something many people understand as FB reach is so complex.

I do know that when I had a couple of hundred likes I had great reach. As my likes went up my reach has got lower and lower. Now I have to put a lot more thought and effort into understanding what works and what doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, I love likes and am more than happy to be liked by any member here who has an interest in my page, just not via the list which for me is now far too indiscriminate. :)
JaneV

Post by JaneV »

I can see where you're coming from Nemo and I've still got a lot to learn about FB - that's what great about these discussions. I guess what I meant was that it's great publicity at the time of the 'like' if it gets seen by friends of friends, etc, but I can also see what you mean about how it can affect your reach if you are consequently unfollowed.

I've probably been missing a lot of tricks on FB, but for me personally, I see FB as being most useful as an additional page to my ads/website, for potential guests to gain more info about my property/local area, etc, before deciding whether it's right for them to go ahead and book - and for guests to feel reassured that the property actually exists!
seaturtle

Post by seaturtle »

Hi there everyone - can I ask a very basic question as I only set up FB business page yesterday.

I have an old handwritten list of email addresses from enquirers that never went ahead for various reasons - however who expressed an interest in continuing to hear from us (about the Villa, region, recipes etc).

Do I send these people a friend request or somehow elicit a 'like' out of them. I understand Nemo & Kevs point that likes perhaps reach a threshold beyond which they might not be much use (my own words).

What do you good people of LMH suggest I (complete novice) do with this list?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

If you have their permission, then send a newsletter by email to them and include the news you now have a Facebook page. You do not want to friend request your guests, just ask them to pop over and please like your page for news, photos and so on.

I'd suggest getting a mail chimp account. It takes a little while to get your head round, but start with a simple template, you can link it automatically to your social media accounts, so the recipient can click through directly. It's then brilliant for managing email lists. There are some mentions on here about it. Have a good search and read up about it.
tavi

Post by tavi »

I second what Nemo says, plus remind them to click on "receive" notifications" under the like button - that way your photos/posts will appear in their newsfeed.

Post your FB address for us to see when it's ready and we'll pop over and like it too.
seaturtle

Post by seaturtle »

Mail chimp - ok thanks Nemo I've downloaded that onto the phone. The easy part perhaps!

Tavi good tip about ticking the notification box under like - nice one.