Another new law!

For topics that are specific to Portugal, please go here.
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

I've been exactly where you are now aasta. If you do some due diligence and check some facts (ignoring any rhetoric along the way) there's a chance your viewpoint might change.

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
Rogthedodge

Post by Rogthedodge »

Being a UK farmer, I use this stuff ad lib. As much I completely, wholeheartedly disagree with GM crops, Round up and it's derivatives is the safest chemical we use. Totally harmless as soon as it hits the soil. Stop listening to scaremongers who it seems have nothing better to do in life. You want feeding, we feed you safely and with passion. BUY UK.

Breeding GM plants with a resistance to round up is insane. I liken it to the day of the Triffids.

Round up is good for us. GM is so very bad.

Just my opinion.... I will now put on my hard hat and duck down below the wall...
Deary me am I real.

www.holiday-rentals.com/52179
Codliveroil

Post by Codliveroil »

I wonder if roundup will kill tree huggers.....just a joke........!

Now where can I buy some round up to save my already bloody knees!
Codliveroil

Post by Codliveroil »

Rogthedodge wrote:Being a UK farmer, I use this stuff ad lib. As much I completely, wholeheartedly disagree with GM crops, Round up and it's derivatives is the safest chemical we use. Totally harmless as soon as it hits the soil. Stop listening to scaremongers who it seems have nothing better to do in life. You want feeding, we feed you safely and with passion. BUY UK.

Breeding GM plants with a resistance to round up is insane. I liken it to the day of the Triffids.

Round up is good for us. GM is so very bad.

Just my opinion.... I will now put on my hard hat and duck down below the wall...
Hey Rogthedodge we are down your way tomorrow can you sell me some?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

The issue here, as aasta has pointed out, is environmental impact.

I am a very long-time 'tree hugger', aka organic gardener, as is aasta. And I find a couple of the comments made here offensive and condescending, so I'm out of this thread.
Codliveroil

Post by Codliveroil »

French Cricket wrote:The issue here, as aasta has pointed out, is environmental impact.

I am a very long-time 'tree hugger', aka organic gardener, as is aasta. And I find a couple of the comments made here offensive and condescending, so I'm out of this thread.
I said it was a JOKE, which advertised that it was to mean no harm, sorry that you could not join in and run with it. Oh my gosh! If you want out of the discussion, for whatever reason, no problem. By the way, my joke was about weirdos that Hug Trees and believe that trees have a soul and intelligence. I do not associate Organic Gardeners/Farmers with Tree Huggers. All of my Portuguese neighbours, who have farmed all of their lives, are organic farmers, they do not use pesticides on their trees or crops but do selectively use Roundup to control weeds on neighbouring land that encroaches and on pathways and tracks. They do not know or use the term "organic" because they know no different, they have been producing "Organic" for millennia, they are the true Organic Gardeners without knowing or realizing it.

My original post was about where I could buy Roundup, you chimed in and offered an environmentally friendly alternative that was also cheaper, (it is clearly not cheaper), which I indulged, and asked you for the recipe, which, for some reason you did not offer, so I looked it up on the net, see the link below.

You are right, that the issue is environmental impact of whatever we use, and other posters on this thread have given their candid opinions, surely they are entitled to them and should not also be deemed offensive.

Here is the recipe that shows salt and vinegar and a study that shows it is more toxic than roundup, interesting reading:

http://weedcontrolfreaks.com/2014/06/sa ... nt-page-1/

Of course there are plenty of reports on the net that swing both ways, so the jury is still out, but I know, in Canada if we want to kill trees, salt, without vinegar, around the base will kill a 200 foot cedar!

It's horses for courses, if you have a few acres and salt and vinegar works, then good for you, but if someone has hectares or are commercial or have specific weeds that cannot be controlled in this way then an alternative to salt and vinegar must be sought and used. Is it fair that someone who has 10 hectares or 100 hectares be obliged to use salt and vinegar, (which has questionable results and ecological impact anyway), in the same way as an "organic gardener". Be reasonable or suggest a realistic alternative to those that, cannot for practical reasons, prescribe to your "Organic Gardeners" methods, otherwise they could also take offense.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

The answer is a hoe, a spade and a mattock.

And that isn't a joke, not even one in very bad taste like yours. I would never dream of using anything to kill weeds - not even vinegar and salt, which is only ever used on a gravel path - on cultivated ground. I live on a former farm in the middle of woodland, in the foothills of the Pyrenees, and clear my not inconsiderable weeds by hand and by brushcutting.

Organic gardening is possible for anyone. And they're not 'my' methods.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Rogthedodge wrote: Round up and it's derivatives is the safest chemical we use. Totally harmless as soon as it hits the soil. Stop listening to scaremongers who it seems have nothing better to do in life.
I can remember when the respected scientist Rachel Carson was called a 'scaremonger' (among many other offensive jibes like 'hysterical') on publication of her seminal book 'Silent Spring' in 1962, highlighting the dangers of the DDT insecticide - until then considered to be a 'wonder chemical' and completely safe. Despite the outrage from the powerful manufacturers and users of the insecticide, her assertions were proven true and DDT was banned.

Just because something does the job effectively (and DDT was certainly good at killing insects) doesn't mean that we (and our governments) shouldn't look at its effects in a wider context and, if it really is harmful, find ways of replacing it with something less dangerous.
Jim
aasta

Post by aasta »

YES ....thanks FC and Jimbo my sentiments exactly!!!!
aasta