Virgin Media - premium services

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
brightmike

Virgin Media - premium services

Post by brightmike »

We have Virgin Media (cable TV, internet) at our property. The "premium" services can only only be accessed via a PIN which I do not provide. I have had a couple of guests request the PIN since this would allow them to use Netflix, movies or sport on demand etc. I don't want anyone running up bills without my knowledge so don't allow access. I have just told people before that the premium services are not available, which may make me look inflexible.

Someone asked last night since they wanted to watch a pay-per-view boxing match. Since they booked through ABB I didn't want the hassle of trying to get ABB to pay me back after I have received the Virgin bill so I suggested a £50 PayPal deposit which I would return the balance of. I would not have made a profit from this, in fact it just took up my time to organise while we were getting ready to go out for dinner! They didn't take me up on it in the end.

Does anyone else have Virgin or another pay-per-use TV services? How do you control usage and manage payment? Do you add a charge?
Our property website can be found by looking at our profile.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

I also lock it down. I did once give someone my PIN, but then I had their credit card number.

You can get a NOWTV box for something silly like £10. It can do on demand Sky movies and sports events like the boxing. Your guests would need to sign into it, and they could just create a new account for this easily.

I don't bother since I've only ever had one request.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I think that most pay-per-view tv's terms and conditions state it is for your own personal use only - so you can't allow your guests to use it or re-sell it to them.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Has anyone used the Amazon Premium Movies & TV programmes in their rental house? We don't use it at home as we have Sky & it just duplicates but have wondered about letting guests use it & chnage the password each week. Also thought about offering Netflix too.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

kyreniagirl wrote:Has anyone used the Amazon Premium Movies & TV programmes in their rental house? We don't use it at home as we have Sky & it just duplicates but have wondered about letting guests use it & chnage the password each week. Also thought about offering Netflix too.
Again, look at the terms and conditions from Amazon:-
License to Digital Content. Subject to your payment of any applicable fees (including applicable taxes) to rent, purchase, or otherwise obtain access to Digital Content, and your compliance with all other terms we specify for Digital Content or the Digital Service, Amazon grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, limited right and license, during the applicable Viewing Period, to access, view, use and display the Digital Content in accordance with the Usage Rules, for Non-Commercial, Private Use. As used herein, "Non-Commercial, Private Use" means a presentation of Digital Content for which no fee or consideration of any kind (other than that which you pay to us to view the Digital Content) is charged or received, which takes place in your private home or apartment or, if outside your private home or apartment (e.g., in a hotel room, student accommodation, office, or airport waiting lounge) is limited to a private viewing for you and your invitees. Non-Commercial, Private Use specifically excludes any public presentation (e.g., a presentation in a student accommodation lounge) and any presentation by a place of public accommodation or other commercial establishment (e.g., a bar or restaurant), even if no fee is charged for viewing the Digital Content
Gordo

Re: Virgin Media - premium services

Post by Gordo »

brightmike wrote:I have just told people before that the premium services are not available, which may make me look inflexible.
For ticking nearly all the right boxes with renters (aside from pay per view) it might be worth considering an IPTV setup as an extension to a non-TV service from VM (Broadband + 1 phone line).

Our previous VM costs just kept creeping up so I spent £70 on a set-top box (MAG254) and now take out an 80€ quarterly subscription with a third party (so equiv to about £20-£22pm).

In contrast to VM that gets ALL the premium channels you can think of plus all the run of the mill stuff.. over 700 channels across 9 countries.

We have identical setup at home (UK) and in rentals in Spain and Ireland and renters love it.

Still needs a stable broadband service which is an added cost (£24pm in UK, 12€ in Spain, not sure about Ireland as tenants pay it directly).

So that's a total monthly outlay of about £46pm in UK and 39€ in Spain.

By comparison we used to pay VM over £70pm with NO premium channels whatsoever.

Not to be confused with free android boxes that need constant updating (so are at best impractical for renters).

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
brightmike

Post by brightmike »

I think I will revert to telling guests premium services are not available... now I can say it's against VM rules!
Our property website can be found by looking at our profile.
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

brightmike wrote:I think I will revert to telling guests premium services are not available... now I can say it's against VM rules!
Might be pedantic but as I recall VM use the term "premium" to describe TV channels such as Sky Movies/Sports, BT Sport, Nat Geog, Discovery, Adult etc etc hence saying "no premium services" could mean you're potentially underselling yourself?

Are you sure stuff via PIN is "premium services" as opposed to what they used to describe as "Event charges"?

I'd think it unlikely that the average guest would expect to be able to access pay-per view services but same guest might reasonably expect to be able to get "premium" channels as above... hence my earlier IPTV comparison.

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Gordo what system is it you are using in Spain? I have the Android box option but it really isn't working out for me :(