Rules and Regs re: Babysitting

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Normandy Cow

Rules and Regs re: Babysitting

Post by Normandy Cow »

The subject of offering a babysitting service was mooted in another thread, and then Ros came up with this, which I hadn't even thought of...
Ros wrote:I hope it doesnt sound nit picking Paolo but as I work with kids and have got used to all the new restrictions and regulations,
Im a bit concerned about the Babysitting that might be offered.......Especially if it would be you[the house owner] recommending someone....Just makes me feel a bit uneasy .....
Maybe its a sign of the times[what a shame] :cry:
I wonder what other forum users think
Sorry to sound like a party pooper and I know it would be a great service to provide,but there could be drawbacks..

This was my reply...
...this had never occurred to me, and I think it is such a sad reflection of the world (or should I say the country) we live in today. I totally agree that we have to protect the child (I have two myself), but I do think that like most other aspects of this nanny state called Britain that we have swung too far.

Are the rules and regulations so stringent in other parts of the world? I'd be interested to hear what goes on elsewhere if anyone has any info. But I think that this needs a new thread so I am starting one in another section of this forum...

So, here we go... Does anyone know the rules/regs/drawbacks about offering a babysitting service, both in the UK and elsewhere....
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Hi Catherine - sorry just replied to on the other thread!

I have taught children Italy in middle school and at summer camp, with ages ranging from 8-15. I have also given private lessons to young children as well. No one has ever (to my knowledge) done any checks on my suitability, which I must admit I find strange.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm not sure in France - but I know when I passed my habilitation and taught in public primary schools for a couple of years, there were no checks done! There are always 'petits announces' in the local shops for teenagers offering babysitting services, although in order to be a childminder you should be 'agrée' - i.e. have done a course and be registered. We don't offer the service, but have done it for guests who we've become particularly friendly with. Most of the restaurants around us are very child friendly so there is no problem eating out with the children.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All, :D

Thanks for giving this some attention Catherine and Ciapolin...and maybe yes weve got into a bit of a
nanny state called Britain
[actually Nanny being a good choice of word]

Im really dont know what I think but just think it needs to be aired and I would love peoples views.

I was bought up in a time that we didnt worry about such things but does that mean it didnt happen.

But then again if you worried about everything you would never do anything....As usual theres a middle ground. which hopefully if its approached with common sense should come to a sensible solution.

If we were getting people to sit for our own children we would make our own judgements and instincts...and hopefully have instilled in them what was acceptable behaviour and what was not[by them & to them]
Its just that if we recommended someone & something happened ,how would we feel.....I dont mean legally I mean personally and morally.

Im really sorry as these makes me sound like a worry wart and Im not, its just that Ive always had very good instincts that have guided me well[its handy because it helps combat my dippiness] and I felt really uneasy when I read Paolos suggestion.....Now Ive aired it I feel better.

Im not telling everyone what to think Im just saying they need to give it some thought. :? :D
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

I've always found it a bit strange when anyone asks if there are any babysitters locally. I don't live on site so they know I'm not an option.

When my children were small I would never have dreamt of leaving them with a stranger. Not particularly because of 'what might happen' more because they wouldn't know the person, nor the person know them.

Imagine this scenario - you go to bed leaving your husband downstairs watching TV. A couple of hours later you wake up for a drink of water, go downstairs and there sitting in your husbands place is a stranger.

They smile at you, tell you not to worry, husband will be back soon.

They're very kind they even get you a glass of water, tell you again not to worry and that you should go back to sleep as it'll all be ok tomorrow!

hands up who thinks they'd go back upstairs and go straight back to sleep?
The Moles Mother

Post by The Moles Mother »

We were advised by another local B&B owner that on no account should we offer babysitting, (a) as there were insurance implications, and (b) the tax authorities would take a dim view of it.

From our point of view it's worked out for the best. We're far too busy serving dinner in the evenings to keep an eye on sprogs as well.

MM
debk

Post by debk »

Last New Year's we had a guest request babysitting services. I downplayed it for months but she was INSISTENT.

So I tried a couple of local nice hotels, asking for their sitter recommendations, but they gave me the standard Portuguese answer: It's not safe to leave your children with strangers. (That's what aunts, godparents and grandparents are for. They all live next door, anyway!)

Then I found online advertisements for 3 babysitting companies, but all had gone out of business. (See grandparents, above.)

Finally, I called the Four Seasons Hotel. When I asked if they had a babysitting service, the woman laughed out loud and asked if I wanted their number. Seems I wasn't the only person deserately searching for reliable sitters.

All of which to say, I was connected with a fabulous company that employs only university-educated sitters, most are elementary and pre-school teachers, and ours also had a Masters Degree in French and English.

The guest was happy, her kids seemed to really enjoy the sitter and all went well.

Although I found it rather odd, I decided that someone who is going to do this in a foreign country probably has the kind of kids who are used to it.
debk
paolo

Post by paolo »

We use total strangers as babysitters, but only if recommended by or related to someone we know and trust. I wouldn't just get someone out of the phone book or a shop window.

We are more relaxed about these things in a rural French village where everyone knows each other than we were in the UK.

Are there regulations covering babysitters in France? I really don't know.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Ju

Post by Ju »

I doubt if there are any regulations in France. I teach in the local school and have never had any checks done.

We offer a babysitting service, but I am the one doing the babysitting. I always make sure I've met the children before so the parents can tell them that it will be me looking after them. Although my OH is perfectly capable of looking after children he doesn't do the babysitting as we feel parents would feel happier with a women.

I have no concerns about safety as I know I'm not a mad axe murderer! :D