Website Hosting

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
brendan

Website Hosting

Post by brendan »

My website, which is currently hosted by siteground, is up for renewal. I paid 47 euros last year. This year they want 97 which they´ve agreed to reduce to 73 euros.

I´d like to know if that´s good value as I really don´t know anything about this. I´d also like to know if it´s easy to change to another hosting company. And lastly, does anyone have any recommendations?

Many thanks
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

47 Euros is extremely cheap and 97 Euros is still very cheap. Often if you only ever need a single domain or limited space some places offer good rates.

I can recommend Host Hero in the UK but it's not the cheapest so may not be the best for you. The support is 1st class and they offer unlimited space and many other features I rely on such as SSL for no extra cost.

I had a look at your host company and if you only need the one website then it's still a good deal.

BTW changing host company is relatively painless.
brendan

Post by brendan »

Thanks Kev...I guess I´ll just have to bite the bullet!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I used to have a site hosted with Siteground but I 'fell out' with them over exorbitant price rises and their tendency to renew my hosting automatically even when I had auto renew disabled!

My letting sites are hosted by Weebly (I'm an old customer and have 'grandfather rights' on my pro account so I pay only 37 dollars a year), but for a number of years I've had a couple of professional sites hosted by online.net, which is a French company but now has a version of its website in English. Remarkable value at 1,99€ a month, domain registration included, and very stable. I've been very impressed and if I weren't using Weebly I'd have all my sites hosted there. There are other packages too if you need databases and other functionality. Link in English: https://www.online.net/en/hosting/online-perso
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

French Cricket wrote:I've had a couple of professional sites hosted by online.net, which is a French company but now has a version of its website in English. Remarkable value at 1,99€ a month, domain registration included, and very stable.
For a single domain, that is a good deal and beats what Brendan has been offered easily.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

I had a look at that FC and seems good value. What surprised me was the website storage of 150Gb - that is huge for a personal website. I assume they expect no one to use anything like that. Or a typo ?
What would Plato do ?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

No, I don't think it's a typo - the pro hosting, which costs just twice as much, offers twice as much storage! For some reason it's always been a very generous provider. Since I've been with them they've evolved hugely too.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
teapot

Post by teapot »

1and1 have been good for us and I think £1.99 a month is about all we pay. New customers may not get quite as good a deal.
They have a loyalty program so I get gold stars or something if people use my loyalty code.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world