Discounts for long stay

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
joddle

Discounts for long stay

Post by joddle »

Have had our first long stay enquiry today - our villa is for four people and we have an enquiry for two people for 7 weeks in Sept and Oct. Seems genuine so far and so I want to give a good response.

Normally we price for one week and for two weeks (the second week is cheaper than the first as we don't have to provide the cleaning service twice). For seven weeks I feel that using the same logic would result in a very expensive holiday so was wondering if others have a formula or system for offering discounts for long lets? I was thinking of between 10 and 15% off the normal price for this case - is that about right?
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I would give them a price that includes cleaners coming in, say twice while they are in residence, as people can make a place really messy in 7 weeks.

I would also ascertain how many are actually going to be staying there. They may have plans to have friends to stay during that 7 weeks so more washing for you.

The discount then depends on how much you are saving by not cleaning every week, only washing two sets of linen and towels each time etc. I gave 10% off a 6 week stay recently but perhaps that is a bit mean.
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

I'm sure there's no "right" way to do it. Previously, for long stays in low season, I've looked at the occupancy pattern (and hence income) for the equivalent period in previous years and used that as a guide to what the stay is worth. I've then adjusted it for difference in cleaning costs.

I would agree that cleaners should come in to do interim cleans at least once or twice during the stay just to check that they are not abusing the place.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
Gordo

Re: Discounts for long stay

Post by Gordo »

joddle wrote:For seven weeks I feel that using the same logic would result in a very expensive holiday
But that may not not be what the potential guests feel?

Unless they've hinted about a discount for long-stay in their initial enquiry I think you're lowering your guard way too soon.

As much as we try and convince ourselves that nearly everyone gets hung up on price that's simply not the case as if it was then we'd all be driving the same cars and shopping at LIDL (no disrespect intended).

It could be wiser to use the dosh saved due to fewer changeovers to spoil them a bit during their stay, rather than give it straight to them up front. Just another thought that's all.

I've got a 3 week and a 4 week booking later this year. Neither queried any discount and both booked without questioning price. Better to sell stressing the value of what they're getting for the money rather than introduce elements they may not even be thinking of.
Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
joddle

Post by joddle »

The problem in Spain about doing mid term cleans is that we then provide a "service" and so become liable for IVA (VAT)!

I think I will simply offer them a price - discounted a little to allow for the fact we will have fewer cleans to do in the period (and for which we are seldom fully booked anyway!) Should still be well worth it for us and hopefully for them too.

The pool-man will still call each week and will report any untoward goings on and we have the security deposit in case of damage.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.