Flood Insurance for Riverside house - any recommendations?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
shonat

Flood Insurance for Riverside house - any recommendations?

Post by shonat »

Thanks, Bessie.

After many hours of phone calls to brokers resulting in nothing, I got advice from National Flood Forum who directed me to a firm in Edinburgh. They thought possibly with them being more local to my property there might be a chance they could help. 3 weeks after my first attempt I finally got somebody who listened carefully - it did help that he was somewhat familiar with my area and I have now got a policy through SAGIC which includes flood cover.
Annew

Post by Annew »

NFU insure a couple of pals of mine who flooded last year and the year before, but they were existing customers and their excess charge has risen hugely.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Is it worth writing to your MP about your experiences?
It makes a mockery of the "government policy" to ensure people living in flood areas can get insurance.
Jonathan

Re: Flood Insurance for Riverside house - any recommendation

Post by Jonathan »

shonat wrote:I have a riverside house which has never flooded in the 35 years
we've had it although properties nearby have been flooded. 8 years ago we switched its use from permanent home to Holiday Let and I have been unable to find a company which would insure against flood damage. Is anyone in a similar situation?[/b]
We are in a mill which does flood. Our holiday lets are part of the building and we insure with NFU Mutual without any problems. We didi make a small clain in 2007 when we were three feet underwater.

Jonathan
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Annew wrote:NFU insure a couple of pals of mine who flooded last year and the year before, but they were existing customers and their excess charge has risen hugely.
Our NFU excess charge is £2000 for structural damage from flooding but apart from that is reasonable.

Jonathan