Urgent advice needed re German guests and recycling

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

I'd say they'll be fine whichever way you do it and don't worry too much about google translate not outputting perfect translation. I'm sure they'll appreciate your efforts regardless.

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

FelicityA wrote:In Ireland, you mix it all except the glass.
No value to Bunny (sorry) but I'm guessing that must be either up North or in Dublin Felicity? In the country (certainly Mayo & Roscommon) they are very particular about separating everything.

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Gordo wrote:
FelicityA wrote:In Ireland, you mix it all except the glass.
No value to Bunny (sorry) but I'm guessing that must be either up North or in Dublin Felicity? In the country (certainly Mayo & Roscommon) they are very particular about separating everything.

Yes, (sorry Bunny, off track although I thought the Germans might have the same system) but answering Gordo's question. It is in Dublin.
MaggieP

Post by MaggieP »

Bunny I've just seen your post. I can speak German so if you need any help please get in touch

regards

Maggie
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Thank you Maggie. I went in at the weekend to do a mini clean again whilst they were away, and although a lot of the beer bottles had gone, there was still one crate full. However, when they came back yesterday I could see they had brought crates of full ones with them again, obviously from Germany. Whenever I see them they seem to have a bottle glued to their hands. They do like their beer don't they! I guess they will remove them all once they finally leave. I can cope with one crate but if they build up again I might need to call on you, but I'm not so worried now they have got rid of some.

:D

I might need your help in a few weeks before they leave, because I noticed there are a few mugs missing and I suspect they are in their van where they are spending a lot of time smoking and I've seen them outside with a mug in hand. One of them, I particularly want back because it is from an expensive set of toughened glass mugs that can only be purchased in sets. I'll keep an eye to see if they reappear before I mention it though.

Thanks for your help. :D
MaggieP

Post by MaggieP »

No problem at all, glad to help. I'm in the German speaking part of Switzerland. Here too they have significant deposits on the empty beer bottles when they are from particular breweries so this is probably the reason they are taking the empties back.

If you tell me the make of the beer, I will be able to google it and find out if they operate a depot (deposit) system.

Will wait to hear from you about the mugs.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Thanks Maggie; it's Krombacher Pils.
MaggieP

Post by MaggieP »

Just checked and there is a deposit of 10cents per bottle on this make.
Here is a bit more background in English. They call deposit Pfland it seems-I gave you the word Depot which seems to be used more in Swiss German.

http://germanylifestyle.com/shopping-in ... many-pfand
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

Hi Bunny

I have just caught up with your post but i hope this helps
For your german guests ( i do not know if you have many ) it will depend on were they live in germany as each kreisstadt ( county ) can differ slightly but basically you seperate
Plastics , Packaging , Tin Cans ( usually washed out ) foil in one container
Then
Paper cardboard packaging newpapers etc... In another

Then in some areas they have a Bio bin ...i think in the Uk you have these for your food scraps tea bags compost i have small worktop bins with paper (bio) waste bags inside or you can use newspaper it just keeps things cleaner

And lastly thay have a normal wate bin ( bag) that eveything else goes in but in most areas of germany they either pay per weight or the size of the bin or amount of bags but as the recycling is free they are big recycliers

These are the services that are collected from home buy the refuse service

Now glass recycling usually most glass in germany is recycleable beer, coke , mineral water bottles and is indicated on the bottle with a black arrow symbol these have to be brought to a supermarket and put in a machine were you get your deposit back in the form of a voucher to spend off your shop as you would have paid a deposit on the bottle when purchasing in german called "pfand"
**** this also includes some plastic bottles again with the symbol****

So the fact that you may have removed some glass bottles that your guests maybe purchased in germany maybe to return home with them they may have a deposit ( pfand) to get back this is normal for the germans as i have german guests who stay with me and bring crates of their own beer to consume as my apartments are self catering and take any empties home

As i have a german rental and some of my guests come from outside germany ( so i am the opposite ) especially the english guests you will be suprised how many bottles i have to retreve from the general rubbish a nice tip for the cleaner :)

All other bottles that do not have the symbol get taken to the normal glass bank , i have a stack of those folding plastic crates in my cellar and go on regular intervals as again guests always seem to leave them in the general rubbish

As my rentals are the opposite to you i have to inform the non germans on the german recycling system i find it easier to do symbols this covers hopefully all nationalities

PM me if you would like any translation from your english recycling rules in to german
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Thank you both for your very helpful and comprehensive replies. That could also explain why they are removing all their non recyclable rubbish too. Perhaps they think it will cost me a lot of money if they leave lots of sacks. Well I'm very happy to have the rubbish removed. Bring on more Germans please..... :D