Review please

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Bunny wrote: i.e. ALWAYS two spaces after a full stop
50 years ago yes but not these days with proportional fonts.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

French Cricket wrote:
Qué???????
When I took my Pitman typing exams many years ago, anything less than two spaces after a full stop would have been a fail. Anything less, just doesn't look right, old fashioned or not. Regardless of whether you observe the rule it has to be consistent with at least one space - certainly not no space.
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

Hi Ian

I know the website is a work in progress but FWIW, I think it's very much better than it was when I glanced at it the other day.

As Bunny says, there are still a few typos and commas without spaces etc. (although I don't agree with the two spaces after a full stop. Is that really necessary these days?

For me the bug-bear is the fade on the photos, even as I click on them to move onto the next one. It's something that drives me nuts.

I also find the colour of the script a little too light on a white background as it makes it a touch difficult to read for me. What's wrong with using black?

I agree with Bunny in that the random photos of other buildings in Allonby don't really add anything. If you are having photos then make them relevant.

None of this would put me off booking as I think you have a lovely place although being forced to pay 15% or so commission to Trip Advisor would be a deterrent.
Here we go again........
Essar

Post by Essar »

Bunny wrote:
French Cricket wrote:
Qué???????
When I took my Pitman typing exams many years ago, anything less than two spaces after a full stop would have been a fail. Anything less, just doesn't look right, old fashioned or not. Regardless of whether you observe the rule it has to be consistent with at least one space - certainly not no space.
Yup properer english compositioness like what I was taught.__2 spaces after the spot. 8)
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
hcbts

Post by hcbts »

Bunny wrote: Also one of the drop down boxes on the reservations form does not work.
Hi,

Could you let me know which browser / device you were using as the drop down boxes work for me on firefox, chrome and IE ?

I have dropped the "contact us" page - you were right to point it out as it served no purpose

Thanks again

Ian
Holiday Cottages, Allonby, Cumbria

http://www.holidaycottagesbythesea.com
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

hcbts wrote:
Bunny wrote: Also one of the drop down boxes on the reservations form does not work.
Hi,

Could you let me know which browser / device you were using as the drop down boxes work for me on firefox, chrome and IE ?

I have dropped the "contact us" page - you were right to point it out as it served no purpose

Thanks again

Ian
I'm using a Windows laptop with IE. Nothing comes up at all when I click on it so not sure what is meant to go in the first box.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

rammy100 wrote: As Bunny says, there are still a few typos and commas without spaces etc. (although I don't agree with the two spaces after a full stop. Is that really necessary these days?

I also find the colour of the script a little too light on a white background as it makes it a touch difficult to read for me. What's wrong with using black?
That's my point - it is all about ease of reading. We all know that guests' boredom threshold is very limited and they will read very little. If you wish to pick out a previously read sentence, it is much easier to scan back and find the beginning and end of sentences when the old fashioned rule has been applied. Even with proportional font spacing, one space only leaves the equivalent space as a full stop which gives very little definition. Love it or hate it, anything that makes information easier to read has to be better for our guests, and ultimately us.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Bunny wrote:
When I took my Pitman typing exams many years ago, anything less than two spaces after a full stop would have been a fail.
It originates from the days of typewriters where fonts were monospaced. 2 spaces after a full stop using these fonts was much more readable.

However, you'll find very few websites using monospace fonts so the 2 space rule is now simply 1 space together with proportional fonts. I did a random check and could not find a site using 2 spaces.

I did my thesis in the 80s on a typewriter (connected to a computer of course) and then it was 2 spaces.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

hcbts wrote:
Hi,

Ian
I only see one drop down and it's broke. When you arrive at the home page, the reservations page is highlighted.

Rather than attack the pages at random, try to plan it out first. Decide on how you will divide your content into different pages and then work on just one page. Make that page as complete as possible and it will give you a template for the next page you tackle.

Sketch out the page layouts on paper if that helps. Try to keep pages balanced visually and make the layout which you want and not what you end up getting after placing your items into your design tool. In other words be in control of the layout and don't let the technology control you.

Example of layouts: On the home page, I see one nice looking picture of the property. If this were big, I might think "wow this is nice". But it's tiny and flanked by 2 very dull pictures so that wow is lost. (I though the one on the right was chocolate fudgecake)

Some time is needed before hitting the keyboard if you are to succeed.
Last edited by kevsboredagain on Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I also note on the reservations form that the box for the number of guests says 'optional'. I would remove this word. IMO this information is crucial as I often get enquiries whereny they intend to over occupy from the outset. Either because they simply haven't read the information properly or think that the maximum occupancy is just a rough guide or doesn't apply to them. Better you know the numbers at the enquiry stage and not on arrival, when they turn up with double the numbers intended, all clutching their sleeping bags.