What do you think, do people really take cats on holiday?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Dusty

What do you think, do people really take cats on holiday?

Post by Dusty »

Received last night from TripAdvisor, has anyone had anything similar?
Good evening - please can you advise your best rate for this duration for 2 adults and a 15 month old house cat who is fully house trained and well travelled!

Many thanks
Elizabeth Davies

I have sent a note back saying I would like to know a little more about the cat, lets see what happens.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I know several cat people who would take them on holiday and I've had at least one enquiry to bring a cat. Problem is that it is a young cat and some cats scratch anything and everything. Of course, it will be a 'small, very well behaved cat'. :wink: If you are happy to accept a cat I think I would point out that any damage would have to be paid for in full. Maybe it will be in a cat box when they go out? If it is a house cat, it probably never goes out and will be toilet trained.

Just noted that she's asked for a 'best' rate. I defo wouldn't give a discount with the added risk (not that I do 'best' rate requests anyway).
GRL

Post by GRL »

Yes, I have friends who always took their cat on holiday with them and know other owners who have had cats stay.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

It's fairly normal in France for people to take their cats on holiday with them (am assuming you're in France from your location?)... as a cat owner there's no way I would take either of mine on holiday with me, but I suppose others think differently!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Yes when we started out and had an agent, they wanted us to take all pets including cats.

We refused outright as a "well behaved" cat had done a lot of damage in a furnished let we had when we first started out. If a cat decides to climb up your curtains (as happened in our FL) then the damage can run to a considerable height in your property.

We welcome dogs, by arrangement, but no other pets.
I think it was only last year when I refused a booking where they wanted to being a cat.

Edited to add, think about the cat hairs as well. They can be much more difficult to eradicate than dog hair.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Can't agree with that - to my mind its dog hair that clogs up the pool filter and sticks like glue to carpets, beds and cushions. When we travel we take our cat and dog with us - the cat being no problem at all but the dog leaves a trail of hair!
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Well you learn something new each day in this business, thanks to all of you for your replies. We don't normally take pets of any kind because of the problems of hair as you have mentioned. We did have 2 dogs stay last year, their owners were friends of friends and they could 'recommend' them so we let them come. They were fine whilst they were here but three cleaning sessions later we were still finding hairs!
In this instance we haven't heard any more so the question has gone away, a pity as they were looking to book for 5 weeks, which would have been nice.
Thanks again to all for educating me on people bringing cats on their holidays.
Martha

Post by Martha »

We had one stay for a month once. I was very sceptical but it came with its own references! It was no problem at all, other than a bit of panic when it escaped, which I still think is the big worry with cats. I did up the deposit quite a bit though.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Some years ago, we spent a few nights at a beautiful chamber d'hote somewhere in central France and got on really well with our Belgium hosts. They had another pair of guests arrive during our stay who had bought there two (well behaved) cats with them. A very odd couple (the humans!) who preferred not to dine with us but eat sandwiches a in their room. During dinner we were interrupted on several occasions by disturbing banging and clattering coming from the cat people's room.there were moments where conversation of our hosts childhood on Jaques Cousteau's ship as a child with his father, Cousteau's r/h man were silenced as all our eyes all rolled up towards the ceiling all wondering what the (fill blank) was going on up there.

The following day our lady host was looking decidedly upset and frazzled and explained that the room had not been left at all to her usual expectations, more that it had been left like some kind of drunken rock n roll cat fest and she would have to replace all of the bedding and if I recall rightly, I think they'd even broken the en suite basin. I think they had also left without a word of apology. She decided then, no more cats.

Just found the link:
http://relais-orient.charroux.com/index_en.html
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I have had 2 enquiries in the past for people with cats! I have a no pets policy so didn't accept them.

I am a cat lover ...
pambon

Post by pambon »

I have 5 house cats (all neutered) and would never travel with them neither would I accept them on a booking request, but then I don't accept dogs either.