Sites with tourist guide ratings

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
robby0_16

Sites with tourist guide ratings

Post by robby0_16 »

Hi

My cottage has a Visit Britain (British Government Tourist Guide) rating of 2. I believe the highest rating available is 5. I am worried about advertising on rental sites that show these ratings, as I will possibly be competing against cottages with a higher rating.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Should I stick to sites that do not feature a rating system?

I would love to get peoples views/experiences of this.

Rob
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, Rob -

Good question.

Portugal is just beginning to license/rate rental properties and I've been reviewing their grading structure and chuckling to myself.

For instance, we removed a bidet from one bathroom in order to put in a full-sized clothes dryer.

Indeed, we have gotten several questions about whether or not we have a dryer... but never one about whether or not we have a bidet. (I'd bet good money that the existing bidet in the other house has never EVER been used by any guest. The dryer, however, is in constant use.)

Unfortunately, not having a bidet would, in and of itself, preclude a 5 star rating. Which is silly for a vacation rental.

Hopefully, what will be more important for you is that your establishment truly exists, has been certified by the government and passed with flying colors. If you are concerned with the rating, maybe you could add a FAQs to your website explaining why you are rated 2 versus 3 or 4?

Most importantly, CONGRATS on your rating. I think you should be proud for complying with regulations and passing through all the necessary beaurocratic hurdles!
debk
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I think the problem with ratings is that a lot of people don't understand what they mean - just because a place has 4 stars instead of 2, it doesn't mean it is 'better' it probably just has more facilities. Here in France my cottages have the gites de France épis but advertise successfully next to those that do and get good bookings, because of my comprehensive website with lots of photos (so I've been told by renters). They also say that my accommodation is superior to that they've stayed in with G de F épis....
I think 2 stars is quite acceptable and would advertise the fact.

I think some kind of guarantee of quality is good for holiday accommodation, but the rigid criteria employed by Gites de France is laughable in some respects - just because a beam is 2cm below the 2m required height in the living area of one cottage, I can't get even one épi. In another they don't like the solid fuel central heating so that's out too. Can't say it has adversely affected my bookings and I don't have to pay any commission to G de F either!
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

Hi Robby

You should be proud of your 2 star rating and show it wherever you can.

Extract from Visit Britain website explains the gradings, there are other criteria but these are the basics.

One star: Acceptable overall level of quality. Adequate provision of furniture, furnishings and fittings.

Two stars: Good overall level of quality. All units self-contained – 2 bathrooms where there are eight or more guests.

Three stars: Good to very good level of quality. Good standard of maintenance and decoration. Ample space and good quality furniture. All double beds with access from both sides. Microwaves.

Four stars: Excellent overall level of quality. Very good care and attention to detail will be obvious throughout. Either access to washing machine and drier, if not provided in the unit, or a 24 hour laundry service.

Five stars: Exceptional overall level of quality. High levels of décor, fixtures and fittings, together with excellent standards of management efficiency and guest services. Excellent range of accessories and personal touches.

Do not be frightened to list your 2 star property on the same site as higher graded properties as there will obviously be a difference in rental rates. Also the very fact that you have had your property inspected and graded is a bonus against those that haven't.

I agree that the general public is not probably fully aware of the criteria and be prepared for 5 star expectations at 2 star prices!!

Best of luck!
Squirrel
Always expect the unexpected