Changeover day

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Morristhedog

Changeover day

Post by Morristhedog »

I hope I am posting my query in the correct place.

My normal High season summer changeover day is Saturday, and this is stated on my adverts on two websites.

I had an enquiry yesterday, where the client wanted to have a mid week changeover day and where his "week" crossed two price ranges. ie from mid to high rate in July.

Last year I ended up with six days unsold in the middle of August because of this problem.

Yesterday I wrote to offer mid week changeovers in the low season, and confirmed Saturday changeovers in the high season, but have had no reply.

I have already sold two weeks in August to a client that wanted odd changeover dates. I explained that we only change over on Saturday, and they went on to book with Saturday changeovers.

How do other people feel about accepting such bookings? Am I shooting myself in the foot by turning away potential trade, in the hope of better trade in the future?
A dreamer is one who can only find his way home by moonlight.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

If you're fairly confident you can sell all the weeks and stick with your Saturday changeover, there's no point really in running the risk of ending up with unsold odd days and inconvenience. At quiet times it's a different calculation - as you've already said.

We have a mix over our three properties, but the largest one we run as only full weeks at peak times. If I had an enquiry now for something outside our normal framework in August, I'd politely decline (or try and sell them the two other properties together!).
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

We don't deviate from our Saturday changeovers unless I am selling 10 days of a 14 day period that hasn't sold. Our season is so short that I have to maximise.
For sure I wouldn't do flexible arrivals and departures in peak season.

In the first years, when desperate for funds, I did totally flexible dates all through. Surprisingly it worked well with few unsold dates but I wouldn't like to risk that now.

I would decide what you want to do and then stick with it. If people really want your place I find they do change.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

We stick to Friday changeovers in our Devon cottage during the peak weeks. If someone asks for odd dates then I quote them as if they stayed the full week, or 2 weeks if appropriate. Then I explain that if they did have any flexibility on dates they could have a standard 7 night stay at the usual rate. Sometimes they change their dates, sometimes we never hear from them again and once or twice they've paid for a full week even though they only stay for 5 or 6 nights.

I would only consider pricing at less than 1 week if it was short notice, definitely not this far ahead.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

Mouse wrote:We don't deviate from our Saturday changeovers
Ditto, well worth striving for a Saturday back-to-back changeover and if your potential market is up to it then each time you go flexible you are potentially throwing money away, although the safety net of 'a bird in the hand' makes sense in the shoulder months.

Last edited by Gordo on Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

Thanks every one. It is good to hear that people agree with me.
A dreamer is one who can only find his way home by moonlight.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Markets do vary from location to location but each time I've tried flexible change overs in peak season, I've lost a lot of money. I allow Saturday or Sunday as I find Sunday arrivals are also in strong demand.

It can also depend on your clients. The French want Sat-Sat 90% of the time due to their culture and the fact many will drive, whereas the Brits want odd days of the weeks because flights are cheaper.

Out of season I allow flexibility but adjust the rates accordingly as whole weeks are still much more in demand.
suse

Post by suse »

Joanna wrote:We stick to Friday changeovers in our Devon cottage during the peak weeks. If someone asks for odd dates then I quote them as if they stayed the full week, or 2 weeks if appropriate. Then I explain that if they did have any flexibility on dates they could have a standard 7 night stay at the usual rate. Sometimes they change their dates, sometimes we never hear from them again and once or twice they've paid for a full week even though they only stay for 5 or 6 nights.
+1

We also work on a Friday changeover - cheaper and less crowded ferries for the English while less traffic for the French - and are not flexible in the peak months but outside of these, and for late availability, we are more flexible.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I thought that the answer was totally dependent on where you are and what the market place is like.

So, in my location where flexible dates are the norm (5 flights each day of the week from 5 different UK airports), I have always accepted any length of stay and suffered the odd 2,3 or 4 days gaps in the belief that I was achieving more overall bookings per annum.

But then this year, I changed my mind. I decided to brave it out and only accept Sat-Sat in the peak (mid july to mid Sept).

Now for the interesting bit:

All through the peak booking period from post Xmas through end of Jan, I had precisely two weeks (Sat to Sat) empty in August. I turned down 3 very hot enquiries for 10, 12 and 12 days each. It hurt.

Then in early Feb, I got a 2 week booking for exactly 2 weeks Sat-Sat and the calendar is now pretty darn full and overall revenue is currently highest ever with quite a few weeks still available.

So, its nothing to do with location, market, research or opinion. Its just whether you have big kahunas or not :shock:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Agree with e-richard. But things are quite involved

In our area, some go with 100% flexibility and others are quite restrictive. The larger lets tend to do quite well sticking with a Friday to Friday and the two short breaks, Friday to Monday or Monday to Friday. They do, sometimes, permit Saturday to Saturday.

Niche demand varies. Larger bookings tend to focus on the days then people can get time off so, in those cases, weekend breaks are the most popular. This has an impact on pricing. In some cases our owner charge over 80% of a full weeks break for a weekend break.

However, for smaller holiday lets where it is often easier for guests to arrange stays, demand tends to be more for full weeks and mid week short breaks so changeover arrangements can differ, along with pricing.

The arrival of AirBnB has caused some to go for pricing by the night arrive any day and depart any day. In these cases, previously uncommon, (in our area), two day bookings: Arrive Friday - depart Sunday, have arrived in some number. This is proving very costly for those brave souls and is 'carving up the market' for some niches.

However, AirBnB has made little or no impact on the larger high quality end of the market and has failed to dominate as its gigantic spending and loss making has intended. The impact of brand smearing has done them no good lacking the more sophisticated brand approach and experience of Wyndham Worldwide. (I am no fan, but they do get this right).

It can get a bit complicated.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
Francois

Post by Francois »

Morristhedog : proceed as you think it is the best for you !

Your last year experience indicates that you lost a week of booking during the highest peak season ?
Therefore, switch to full week bookings with changeover on Saturday (or Sunday).
If guests want to stay in your accommodation, they will adapt their schedule or book a full week even if they stay 1 or 2 days less.

Francois
http://www.ardilla-megeve.com -> cosy accommodation for skiing in a famous village in the French Alps.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I offer flexible changeover days however I have found that most people booking during the summer tend to book from Sat to Sat.

Sometimes people fit into gaps between existing bookings - always satisfying.

I feel I need some breaks so I can go down and double check everything is okay ...
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

I'm same as e-Richard, being just 'up the road' flexible dates have always worked for me with just the odd 1-2 day gap. If this happens I will usually offer a discount to guests to close the gap, it's often worked with the guests either shifting their dates or adding them on. I have considered only allowing back to back bookings during peak season, be interesting if that would work.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com