BBC World TV channel. Picture break-up - guidance please.

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
tavi

BBC World TV channel. Picture break-up - guidance please.

Post by tavi »

Any guidance please? Can I resolve this by retuning the TV or should I speak to the Resort - or would I be wasting my time?

We have a paltry 8 or so channels via satelite at the apartment block - in English only BBC World and CNN news. Nothing special but not a problem in itself. It's provided by the resort.

BBCWorld has good reception and sound but the lower half of the picture is constantly breaking up. Not freezing or pixellated but as an example - the weather man's head is always detached from his body and jumping around somewhere to his left.

All the other channels (European) are fine. None of my guests have ever mentioned it but it annoys the hell out of me whenever I'm over there. Anyone think it could be improved?
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Cant suggest anything to you but that weather man does strongly resemble me everytime I see Sky TV's monthly subscription disappearing out of our bank account. The picture break up you describe is exactly what we get when using an ordinary aerial. We're tucked into a small harbour with hills behind and the signal is periodically lost from the nearest transmitter, annoying because it's sited only a couple of miles along the coast, so its Sky tv at Salmon Cottage or headless weather men unfortunately :?
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

Do you use a satellite decoder or just the TV's (analogue?) tuner to receive these channels?

If the latter, I would point the finger at whatever device the resort is using to re-transmit the signal to you. Maybe no-one else watches that channel, so they don't realise there's a problem.

If your TV is portable you could take it to somewhere else on site to compare the picture, or try another TV in your place.