What backup system do you use?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Joanna

What backup system do you use?

Post by Joanna »

Backing up is one of those things that niggles at me - I'll never know for sure if I've got a good system in place until something goes wrong, by which time it'll be too late.

I'm realising the value of having everything on-line so that I can access it from anywhere and with any device. So if my laptop goes belly up I can still use my ipad (except when our broadband connection develops a fault, like it did last month, but that's another issue).

At the moment I've got Dropbox set up and everything I do on my laptop is saved in the Dropbox folder so it automatically syncs with my on-line Dropbox. I pay £80/yr for 1TB space and I've used about a third of it. So everything relating to the cottages, all my accounts and my entire digital photo library are all there (when I first set it up it took a couple of weeks for it to upload everything!). A bonus is that I can share my photos with my family by giving them read-only access to my pictures folder.

Now it's automatically syncing as I work so that's really easy. I've also got a collection of USB hard drives. Some of these are archives - previous years accounts, etc. that I don't need on my laptop. Others are for incremental backups that I run every couple of days using Norton.

These are all stored in the same place so if there was a disaster - a fire for example, I would lose both my laptop and incremental backups, but everything on Dropbox would be OK (as long as I can remember my login details).

I'm also using PIMS for managing bookings so that's all remote and automatically backed up.

I'm curious to know what other hatters are doing to backup all their stuff.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Marks

Post by Marks »

www.carbonite.com/en/cloud-backup/perso ... plans/buy/

Basic plan starts at $59.99pa for unlimited storage. I use the €99.99pa plan as that includes external drives and a mirror image back up of my hard drive and operating system.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Essar

Post by Essar »

I use one.com for my website and email. This comes with a product called Rushfiles - basically a cloud backup that stores your files from your devices whenever they change. The good thing is that they keep all the different versions of every file; if you corrupt a file you can always go back to yesterdays good version.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Just noticed this thread and see a few people paying a lot of money for cloud storage. If you use a network drive (NAS) you can have as many TBs cloud/ftp/backup storage as you want and pay no yearly fees.

eg. I wanted one to put in a rental property to be able to store and stream movies from. It cost 70CHF second hand and then I just added of couple of 2TB disks. If one disk fails you simply replace it without losing data.

The software on these devices is amazing and gives you so much functionality. I also use Dropbox but only the free allowance. I can access every piece of data I own from the NAS, remotely if required.