Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

resizing photos for a website

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: resizing photos for a website Reply with quote

Much appreciate any advice on resizing photos to put on my website - have downloaded programme image resizer and seem to have figured out how to do the thumbnails whereas for the photo page the photos seem to be quite blurred and for the homepage image. What am I doing wrong? - the photos are in format jpg. Thanks in anticipation.
e-richard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help us to help you if you posted a link to your website
kevsboredagain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to make the images the size you want them to be. I'm not trying to be clever here but whatever size you make them, the web browser will scale the image either up or down to fit the space you placed them into. This leads to either slow loading or blurry images.

See if this helps:
http://www.laymyhat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25270
wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your comments - my website is not yet live - hence my query, as you have probably guessed I am a complete novice - so the photo from a camera is probably standard no idea what that is , as far as size, what I need on the website is smaller - what size do I enter?? (choice I think is large, small or medium) or do I just try all possibilities until I arrive at what is acceptable? Many thx, mandi!
e-richard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a simple answer, then resize them all to 1920 pixels wide and the height should scale itself. This is probably the largest screen size you'll encounter. This is usually a lot smaller than "out of the camera".

Its much more important that you do not let the browser increase the size, but its OK(ish) to let the browser reduce it.

Browser increasing size makes it blurry, decreasing just wastes a bit of download time.
wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks e-richard, will have a go and then get back to all you savvies - much appreciate all of your knowledge.
kevsboredagain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e-richard wrote:
If you want a simple answer, then resize them all to 1920 pixels wide and the height should scale itself. This is probably the largest screen size you'll encounter. This is usually a lot smaller than "out of the camera".

That would be fine when you want to display a picture the full width of your browser but if not it will cause a slow loading picture. The more of these you put on a page the worse it gets.

However without actually seeing the page you're doing or even knowing the tool you're using it's hard to give any practical advise.
Gillan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Optimising image Reply with quote

Once you resize the image, don't forget to optimise it for fast loading. Its an easy way to improve your SEO. I use Caesium, a small program that's very easy to use.

As for deciding what size to use - that would be determined by the web page design, do you know the dimensions of the space where the image is place?
Marks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimising image Reply with quote

Gillan wrote:
I use Caesium, a small program that's very easy to use.

Thanks for that, I have just tried it and it produces a marginally better image than the optimizer I use at the moment.
wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou all for your input. I am working on a website with PMP so the home image is I think standard.
I have taken some new photos and adjusted the size on the camera which seems to have improved the images on the photo page.
I will have a go with Caesium to optimize fast loading. I don't think I can show you the site as it has not gone live just yet.
How to build your own personal website from scratch