Check if your email has been compromised

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
bornintheuk

Check if your email has been compromised

Post by bornintheuk »

Another forum I am registered on was recently hacked and the database of users passwords and email addresses was compromised. As I used the password on a few other sites, wrong I know, I had to change them.
One of the results of this is that I was directed to a site where you can check whether your email was involved in the data breach, so I thought it useful to pass it on.
You can check if your email address has been compromised by using this website; notice it is https !
https://haveibeenpwned.com/
What would Plato do ?
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Thanks very much. I have made a note of this site.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Maybe good but how do we know that's not a harvesting tool!!!!
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

joddle wrote:Maybe good but how do we know that's not a harvesting tool!!!!
Harvesting what ? Your email address ??????
What would Plato do ?
joddle

Post by joddle »

Yes just that!
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

It said my Gmail account was breached, which would make a mockery of 2 step verification etc. Luckily I don't use Gmail for anything business related.

Below is the report, which I believe may have been myself using my gmail account for registering some kids toy last year.

Quite an eye opener considering many on LMH will use the same email address for everything they do.

VTech: In November 2015, hackers extracted more than 4.8 million parents' and 227k children's accounts from VTech's Learning Lodge website. The Hong Kong company produces learning products for children including software sold via the compromised website. The data breach exposed extensive personal details including home addresses, security questions and answers and passwords stored as weak MD5 hashes. Furthermore, children's details including names, ages, genders and associations to their parents' records were also exposed.

Compromised data: Dates of birth, Email addresses, Genders, Home addresses, IP addresses, Names, Passwords, Security questions and answers, Usernames, Website activity
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

A brilliant post, bornintheuk
For anybody worries about putting in their username they also have a list of sites that were hacked.
https://haveibeenpwned.com/PwnedWebsites
Top of the list is ADOBE
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Thanks for posting this, bornintheuk. I've checked all of my email accounts and it's showing all as secure - phew.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Zero compromise for me across my various email addies.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

My main email address came up as compromised on Adobe. I have done a fairly thorough check on many old redundant sites that I haven't used for years checking to see if any had the same password as I used with Adobe. I hope I got them all. Everything that I use currently has a different password. Just hope that nothing resurrects itself from the Adobe fracas.