HOTMAIL

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

I've recently changed all my email account settings to use livemail following an email Fasthosts sent round which, if I understood it correctly, meant it is more secure that way. I'm using Outlook on Windows 7 and an iPad. Both appear to be working apart from emails bouncing back from Hotmail and other Microsoft addresses.

I haven't changed anything in PIMS yet - didn't realise it affected it so I'd better go and check that out. I've been sending guest emails from PIMS and getting my blind copy so I assumed that was working.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Just looked at PIMS and realise that it is still using my old SMTP settings, not the new livemail ones. Now I'm thinking that I should leave well alone until I know everything is working elsewhere.

I've sent myself an email through PIMS and the old settings are still working.

This is getting very confusing. I re-read the Fasthosts email that I got in January and it says that I have to change my email settings so that I'm not using CRAM-MD5 password authentication (which I don't think I was). They were going to switch support for CRAM-MD5 off on the 22nd Feb which is the same day my email started bouncing back from Hotmail accounts - coincidence?

I'm going to add a note everywhere I can think of to Hotmail users to be aware that my replies might be treated as spam. Now I'm off to set up my own Hotmail account so I can see what happens from their perspective.
Jo

Joanna

Post by Joanna »

So I can't create a Hotmail account because it doesn't really exist anymore but apparently Outlook.com is more or less the same thing. I'd already set up a 'Live' account so I added an email address to that and tried emailing it from my cottage address. The message went straight to the Junk folder but was easy to find and move to the inbox.

I think we just need to have messages everywhere we put our contact details or enquiry forms to warn Hotmail / Live / Outlook users that our first emails will probably go to their 'Junk' folders. Also, Yorkshire Lass' idea to send a text with a message along the same lines is a good one.
Jo