Someone who wants to book only for 5 days

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Jemima Copping

Someone who wants to book only for 5 days

Post by Jemima Copping »

I have had an enquiry from someone who wants to book only for 5 days, from 27th April to 1st May.
I am in a dilemma because April is when I start my Saturday to Saturday slots and don't really want to mess up the following week for someone else. However, it is getting close to the time and I want to fill in as many weeks as possible. I am afraid that if I don't accept this booking I might not get any others and will be kicking myself. How would other Hatters deal with this? 😳
Better to be mutton dressed as lamb than mutton dressed as mutton!
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

After the very beginning, I stopped doing weekly and fixed changeovers. I charge more ;-) and my properties have been in fly to destinations so people can't always work sat-sat etc w flights. Yes, I've had days empty...but I've used them for routine up keeping tasks and I feel the extra bookings (at a higher rate) more than made up for it for me....but it's s personal choice. I don't do less than 3nighys though at any price.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I presume your change in pricing is obvious on your website/s? I've just looked at the calendar and see her 5 days actually covers 2 of your Sat-Sat weeks! You could offer her the full week ending Sat 30 April at your normal rate and explain that if she wants the Sunday as well, it's part of the second week and should be chargeable as such, too. I'm assuming you've changed to Saturday changeovers due to cleaning restrictions, so if she leaves on the Sunday, how will you cope? If your cleaner (whether it's you or not) is only available on Saturdays, then if your potential guest leaves on the Sunday, she is effectively blocking out all that second week, and should pay accordingly.

When you're hungry for bookings, it's difficult to stand your ground and hold to your rules and requirements, but if you don't stand firm, what's the point in making these rules in the first place?
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Jemima Copping

Post by Jemima Copping »

Thank you Musetta and Polemi for your input
She has said she is only able to come for those specific dates.
OH suggested we tell her that she can come for 4 days leaving on Saturday and charge accordingly say £350 instead of £400 for a whole week, and mention that if we do'nt manage to fill the 1st week of May she can then have the extra day.
In a way I'm tempted to do as Musetta suggested, because for this month we have had 3 short stays booked and one for 11 days so it is obvious that there is a market for short breaks. However since we do our own cleaning I'm not willing to spend more than one day a week in the season cleaning! I don't mind it at this time of year because the weather is mostly crap and it is making money. But in the spring, summer and autumn I much prefer to be outside in my garden, or going for walks. Last year I was a bit flexible on a couple of occasions, but don't want to make a habit of it.
Bunny

Re: Someone who wants to book only for 5 days

Post by Bunny »

Jemima Copping wrote:However, it is getting close to the time and I want to fill in as many weeks as possible. I am afraid that if I don't accept this booking I might not get any others and will be kicking myself.
I don't know your market, but I would not deviate from my terms at this stage. I often get requests for short breaks which includes a Saturday night and I turn most away for the reasons you state i.e. messing up two full weeks. When I have done it, I've always ended up kicking myself. I will only deviate in Spring and Autumn at very short notice, more like two weeks from commencement of stay, or if they are staying for more than 7 nights. But it depends on your market. Do you get enquiries for short notice bookings? If you don't, and you want to fill it, I would initially explain your predicament over the Saturday night and she may agree to leave on the Saturday. I've done that in the past and they have understood and agreed.
Jemima Copping

Post by Jemima Copping »

Hi Bunny
I've sent her a reply saying exactly that, but she must reply within 24 hours.
I know there is a market here for short breaks because a neighbour who I don't actually know has a very similar property on Airbnb and she seems to be doing well with the short breaks.
But, as I have already stated, I am unwilling to go down that road in the summer
I don't get a lot of enquiries for short breaks in the full season, probably because if someone tries to book with Freetobook they don't get that option. I think she is just a bit desperate, but I'm not willing to point her in the direction of the Airbnb lady just yet! Maybe if she writes declining the 4 days I'll take pity on her and
let her know about it.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I don't actually start my full weekly sat-sat lets until the last week of May (school half term week), although in practice, I do very few short lets all year round anyway. I'm still holding out for a weekly let over Easter though! I've had an enquiry for Easter today, so fingers crossed. My winter market is a lot of business lets intermingled with holiday lets. Perhaps your season starts a lot earlier.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I used to be very worried about this but it all seemed to just work out. When I had the U.S. hr, it was always booked up and the dates just seemed to fill. It did mean some tight midweek changeovers that I did myself though. I didn't take short breaks on crazy-high-peak weeks though like Christmas or Easter or Halloween or July. If someone asked, I truthfully told them I was only taking weekly reservations but I'd be happy to let them know if it was still available closer to their dates, etc. My Italy house never books solid so I'm not bothered if I have a day or so I between as it gives my housekeeper plenty of time to get it ready...and they pay more anyway. My nightly rate (w a 3 night min.,) for example, is $87/night but weekly it works out to $71/night.
Jemima Copping

Post by Jemima Copping »

Our season starts at Easter and ends at the end of October. Last year I had one week booked in November, a nice little boost for our piggy bank! The season has got longer over the last few years, and I am open for business all year round. Almost all of our guests are keen walkers and are out most of the time, even when the weather is terrible, which it often is here on the Isle of Skye. Having started in September of 2014, I am quite pleased by the way it has gone over all, and was pleasantly surprised at getting 3 weeks booked for this month.
I hope you get your Easter booking Bunny!
And Musetta's idea about letting them know nearer the date is certainly something to consider.