discount longer stays

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Resurrecting this old post!

I've just had an enquiry for December - April 121 days via Flipkey, so I need to reply asap or get told how poor I am at replying promptly!

I'd prefer they have weekly cleans so everything is laundered properly and to keep an eye on everything being ok, so I wouldn't discount for that but would offer them an overall discount of 10 or 15%? Plus a £600 deposit rather than my usual £300?

Now, it states it's two people, but my other concern is as we sleep 6 they may plan on friends and family joining them for undisclosed periods, should I be strict on occupancy or I guess I could ask the question of n, adjust accordingly.

Chances are this won't convert, I've never had one go ahead before, I think they realise just how expensive it would be. My only other concern is it runs through prime maintenance season, but I guess I could block out the week after for anything as I'd be quids in anyway.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

If you can lock the extra bedrooms/bathrooms, you could offer them a reduced occupancy discount - that way you shouldn't get over occupancy!

Providing you adjust your usual contract to stipulate regular laundry/cleaning/whatever, it should be OK. However, in our experience, people wanting to book the winter months expect to get it for almost nothing, forgetting the cost of heating, etc etc. ("after all, the place would be empty otherwise, so I'm doing you a favour"!) :roll: :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Sam V, I've had several longer lets over this winter for 3-6 weeks at a time. I've learnt to insist on a weekly clean, and even then, it is usually left in quite a state at the end of the let. It's unbelievable how much mess guests can make in just a week, so imagine how bad it would be if you don't go in to do weekly cleans. The cleans are really more for my benefit than theirs. I've definitely found that you get more wear and tear with longer lets because they will be in more and do a lot more cooking etc. I've had two lets recently whereby the elec. has been absolutely hammered with the washing machine and tumbler dryer on almost permanently. And then there's contractors bringing in and charging their tools every night. Longer term renters, particularly if they are sharers, will also bring a lot more electrical equipment with them. So, I no longer discount at all for longer stays. In fact, I charge more overall. I've now capped electricity included and charge a service fee for longer term or business lets to cover the additional cleaning required, knowing that they will just get up and go regardless.

In my experience any couple booking a property that can sleep 6 will almost certainly invite other guests to stay. If they book for a longer duration, they seem to think they have taken a tenancy and can do whatever they like. So, I make it clear that it is let under a holiday rental agreement, so it is for named guests only. I had a very similar enquiry recently, who enquired for two guests so I quoted her with a discount. When pressed for occupancy numbers (because I was suspicious) she said "well obviously we'll be inviting various friends and family to come and stay with us". I then made it quite clear that was not how we operated and that it did not constitute a booking for two! She didn't book. Not that I wanted it.

So, be very cautious in offering discounts if you don't need to. You may end up giving away more than you think.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I do not do holiday rentals over 28days. Period. Ever. Once a guest becomes a long-term tenant (which, btw, they are after a month no matter what your contact says) they are entitled to all the rights of a tenant. (I.e. If they decide to just stay, it becomes extremely difficult to get them out!) I have also owned long-term rentals and they are a different ball game...and one, I might add, I am getting out of and selling my last rental after some bad experiences!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Agreed Musetta, and I will only do more than 28 days if I have already qualified as an FHL for the year. I will also only do over 28 days for business lets, as they are less likely to stay put.
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Thanks, I think I'll quote we only rent as a holiday let agreement only and Max 28 days due to regs. The risk of them thinking they could claim tenancy rights for such a long stay did cross my mind. Gah! Imagine the scenario if you needed them out for your next holiday bookings!

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Dear Guests with European name wanting to stay longer than average with an exceptional discount,

Thanks for your interest in Villa Trinity.

As our villa is a holiday rental property we can only offer a maximum of 28 days stay for any booking. In addition it would only be available to the guests named on the booking with no additinal occupancy without prior agreement and at an additional charge.

If you are still interested then I look forward to your reply and I can provide a quote.

Thanks again,
Sam

Orsonthecat

Post by Orsonthecat »

I took a 7 week booking in January/Feb. I'd already got enough days to qualify as a FHL so that wasn't an issue.
It was great having the quietest past of the year filled and I discounted to reflect that, didn't do a clean or linen change (they brought their own bed linens and towels!!) but I did pop round and inspect once a week. It worked out really well but we were very lucky in that they were nice decent people who were very considerate about not using the heating excessively etc.
I've now got a 5 week booking just arrived in...I'm charging a higher rate than the Jan/Feb guests as am doing a weekly linens, towels and light clean for them. I'm hoping they will be well behaved too as its a long time to be living next door to guests otherwise
So much to learn....so little time!