Owners Direct. How secure is the site?

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Wirksworth13

Owners Direct. How secure is the site?

Post by Wirksworth13 »

Wondered if anyone else has strange emails etc I received a call recently from someone purporting to be from an Asian Marketing group wishing to market our property, they asked me to go to my PC! Obviously I didn't. Last night I had an email from OD telling me to click on a link to activate my new account. My account has been running since January. Didn't do it. Today I received a call from a number that could poss be from Australia asking if I had avail for this Friday. Declined and told them I had no avail as I was suspicious. Am I being paranoid? Has anyone else experienced this type of thing.
Appreciate any advice
First foray into this malarky
https://www.facebook.com/StayAtStemples/
Corfudeb

Post by Corfudeb »

I had a very convincing looking enquiry yesterday which looked identical to the normal enquiry email format sent by Owners Direct. I never click on the email link to go to the dashboard and so went through my normal route. There was no no enquiry in my inbox so I was suspicious. When I returned to the enquiry in my email box I hovered over the 'view in my dashboard' link and sure enough there was a very suspicious web address shown and certainly not Owners Direct. I have forwarded this to the security team and suggested that to avoid this kind of phishing attempt they should remove the email link to the dashboard so that individual owners email accounts are not so vulnerable. It would still be possible to have a personal conversation with the enquirer once it was established that it is a genuine enquiry.
Hold on to your dreams!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

The emails and calls don't come from OD but from scammers trying to trick you into divulging login details. Nearly all online services where you login suffer the same fate.

You have a choice whether to click on the email and be tricked or not. If you are not sure how to tell a genuine email from a fake, then don't click on emails. You soon get used to recognising these emails.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Agree with Kevsbored and Corfudeb.
If you think it's OD that's not secure, you aren't understanding the root of these emails. They pick recognised names and often have very convincing looking emails to trick you into "logging in" where in fact you give them your password. If you do that they can then log into your account in OD or indeed whichever company they claim to be. I get frequent mail from "Paypal", several "banks" and other "companies". Most of my stuff is in Spanish so I know rightaway if it's in English, look out!