19 people in a villa for 12!

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Joffan

19 people in a villa for 12!

Post by Joffan »

Just wondering what others would do. I have a villa 6 en suite double rooms (max 12).

Enquiry received for 6 couples, 2 babies and 5 under 6 year olds!

They have said that they will bring their own mattresses for the children.

I have a few issues, 1. Extra utilities 2. No table big enough for all to eat together 3. Extra wear and tear 4. Extra cleaning

I have already refused the booking but they are now begging!

Julie
tavi

Post by tavi »

ye gads!

If, and only if, you need the booking/income I might consider it. But I would charge a supplement for the over-occupancy (say, the equivalent of two more adults) and an increased damage deposit. You can easily word this as proof of your professionalism.

If they are serious and responsible, and in love with your particular property, they will understand and accept. If they're just cheapskates looking to get something for nothing then they won't.

edit: just noticed the actual numbers - charge for 3 more adults !!! - if you go down that route.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Frankly I don't know why you'd even consider the booking, Joffan. If you have a maximum number, it's for a good reason. Anything above that number will potentially compromise your property and maybe even your reputation along with it.

Trust your own judgement and stand firm.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

In a larger property that had room, I would probably say fair enough to babies in cots or a couple of small children on mattresses, it is fairly normal to the French to do that, but 7 extra is really too much.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

If they are French, it is normal. They bring mattresses for the children, they only need beds for the adults. Up to you if you take the booking or not, I do sometimes but charge a supplement. Never had any problems as the French tend to be very careful guests on the whole.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I would decline and, if possible, suggest a small hr nearby for one of the families & tell them they would be more comfortable that way.
arkvilla
Location: Highgate Park, Florida (the Villa) we live in Essex, UK

Post by arkvilla »

We are licensed for 10 but I will only take 8 maximum, that many people in one home is too many and I wouldn't take that booking no matter how much they begged

Sandra
Marks

Post by Marks »

Stick to your guns. If you have refused then don't back down. I never (knowingly) allow my apartment to be over occupied. I sleep 4, end of. If they want to slum it on the floor then they can be someone else's guests.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Does your villa have floor space for a mattress in each of the double rooms? If yes then it may be feasible with a hefty supplement.

I'd say no personally.
Joffan

Post by Joffan »

Thanks guys I think on balance I should stick
with my gut feeling and decline (despite the begging). It is simply too many people. Although all the bedrooms except one would have space for another 2 double beds - they are a really generous size. I just have visions of them putting all the children in one room and locking the door :lol: :lol: :lol:
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Hi
It's really down to the value of the booking. For me if it's July or August I'd say no because I can fill it with a "normal" family. For June/September I'd think hard before saying no. For low season it's no no no because the money ain't worth the hassle.
revdev

Post by revdev »

I think you'll never forgive yourself if you take the booking and it all goes Pete Tong. We all have maximums for a reason.

Out of interest, what's the going rate for a sleep 18+ in your area?...I'm guessing double your price and they are just trying it on "because 7 of them are kids and don't really count!" and they don't want to pay for the extra beds.
See the job, do the job!
http://www.premiumturkishvillas.co.uk