Getting rid of smoking smell asap

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Ecosse

Getting rid of smoking smell asap

Post by Ecosse »

We've a couple of workers in last night and tonight who decided to play dumb on the smoking ban and smoke in the room... despite the room having a balcony :roll: We spoke to them when we realised last night, but by that time the damage was already done. We are also airing the room at the minute, while they're out.

They leave tomorrow and the same room is rented again by another person tomorrow night... any tips on how to get rid of the smell of smoke in that short time? Fortunately the room has no curtains or carpets, and the mat could be removed while it's aired, but I'm more concerned about the mattresses retaining the stink. Any tips, please?
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

You've started well with airing the place out. Try lighting scented candles too.

Found this site for you.
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Tobacco-Smell-Fast

Hope it works.

Edited to add this other site
http://visihow.com/Get_Rid_of_Smoke_Odo ... e_Remedies

:lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
tavi

Post by tavi »

I also heard that scented candles are better than just spraying air-fresheners.

Bicarb of soda is also a neutralizer.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

We once had similar after someone cooked really smelly fish. We had to wash every single surface that was washable, including doors, skirting boards and furniture.
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

Tavi is right about bicarb of soda.

I would spray the rug lightly with white vinegar. Leave it for 15 minutes or so and then scatter (I can't think of a better word than this but there must be one) some bicarb of soda on it and leave it until it dries. Then vacuum it up.

I find this works for all sorts of smells and stains.
Here we go again........
lester1meg

Post by lester1meg »

Boil water on the hob with some spices in it. The steam helps the smoke particles fall to the ground where you can hoover them up. Don't forget to change the hoover bag afterwards.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Boil vinegar on the hob.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I've just had exactly the same problem, but not just cigarettes, but also foul cooking smells and unwashed bodies. I was heaving when I went in to do the changeover. I opened all the windows all day, cleaned and scrubbed and thought the smell had gone, but when I went in again with the next guests I could still smell it (albeit a lot less strong). I could only apologise to the guests. They were very understanding and said they realised it wasn't my fault, but it was so embarrassing. I'll definitely be trying some of the tips at next changeover, because clearly airing and cleaning alone just doesn't work.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Thank you very much for the tips. They didn't smoke there last night and we're now stripping the beds, duvets etc. and airing it well. Will try the vinegar and bicarb trick, too. There's no hob in the room (it's basically a hotel style room on the 1st floor) but we do get guest cooking up stinky fish in the main kitchen occasionally, so useful to know the 'boil vinegar/spices' trick, too.

Bunny: ugh... at least my guests knew how to use a shower!
suse

Post by suse »

if the vinegar doesnt work try a cut onion in a bowl of water - works on all sorts of unwanted smells :)
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

We have a product in America, called febreeze, that is made specifically to get neutralize smells (rather than just cover w another scent.) Do you have similar there? Of not, I agree re the baking soda! I'd leave open boxes around to help absorb the smell as much as possible.
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

You can make fake febreeze which is better as you get the smell you like.

1oz/2.9cl fabric softener (your favourite smell)
2tbs bicarbonate of soda
Hot water

Mix into a spray bottle, shake it well and use.

I am not fond of the smell of real febreeze and this works a treat and lingers longer.

We had someone stay for three months who smoked inside and it did get rid of the smell. I did wash everything washable though. If the mattress smells you can dust it with bicarbonate of soda brush it in , leave for a while then vacuum it off.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Pendragon wrote:You can make fake febreeze which is better as you get the smell you like.

1oz/2.9cl fabric softener (your favourite smell)
2tbs bicarbonate of soda
Hot water

Mix into a spray bottle, shake it well and use.

I am not fond of the smell of real febreeze and this works a treat and lingers longer.

We had someone stay for three months who smoked inside and it did get rid of the smell. I did wash everything washable though. If the mattress smells you can dust it with bicarbonate of soda brush it in , leave for a while then vacuum it off.
Thanks, will try this tomorrow. As luck would have it, the guest staying in the room is a smoker, too, albeit a responsible one. Just as well as, despite the good clean and airing today, there was still a slight smell once the window had been closed and the room had warmed up again.