DVDs

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
annedab

DVDs

Post by annedab »

We provide a selection of DVD films for our guests - nothing saucy you understand - none of them arrived in a plain brown envelope :lol: , but obviously some of the films are perhaps not suitable for younger children. One of the visitor's comments made reference to how they had fully intended for their children NEVER to be allowed to watch King Kong but they had been pressured into it when they saw it at the house. It wasn't actually a moan - the children loved it, it is a very long film (all sorts of advantages there!) and there were no nasty nightmares thank goodness. However- are we wrong to leave a selection of films easily accessible? If we don't then it is just an extra job for our lovely cleaner to sort them all out at each changeover. Personally, if I arrived at a house with younger children in tow, I would immediately "hide" anything I didn't want them to watch, but should I feel responsible?
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
Giddy Goat

Re: DVDs

Post by Giddy Goat »

annedab wrote: Personally, if I arrived at a house with younger children in tow, I would immediately "hide" anything I didn't want them to watch, but should I feel responsible?
That's the only approach possible and practicable in these circs I think Anne. Anyone else think differently here?
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
debk

Post by debk »

Seems to be more and more of an oxymoron but I'm still a firm believer in "parent's responsibility."
debl
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Sorry folks but I don’t know what you are getting at.

Every TV program, every VHS and every DVD has a parental code attached but I’m not the parent.

Do you think I should volunteer to be “in loco parentis� because I own a property?

Fluffy
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Alan, am I missing something here? Perhaps it's my bedtime, because it seems we are all in agreement! :?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
paolo

Re: DVDs

Post by paolo »

annedab wrote:Personally, if I arrived at a house with younger children in tow, I would immediately "hide" anything I didn't want them to watch, but should I feel responsible?
No!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Anne,

I think it's a nice plus to provide a library of DVDs, I do at our property, and I can't see how guests could fail to be pleased.

In my view it is definitely not your responsibility to filter what is/is not suitable for other people's children to watch.

When I welcome guests to the house I point out the DVDs (stashed away in a cupboard), so parents know they are there and can 'sort' as necessary in some private moment.

Other than that, don't give it another thought! :D
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Earlier this year we had a large, eccentric family staying with us for a couple of weeks.

We settled them in on their first day, and unexpectedly returned on the second day to tweak the hot water system, in the basement.

We were fairly aghast to find that 4-500 videos, DVDs and CDs, plus an equal number of books (three libraries scattered over 3 floors) had been dumped (haphazardly) in those blue IKEA bags in the boiler room.

Lady of the household explained that their kids were not allowed to watch TV (ever), listen to CDs (ever) nor read non-approved books.

Needed an extra visit to sort the place out when they left - it was not a soothing experience.

MGoat
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

oooo, MG. I would have been seething!

The customer is king, obviously, but not to that extent. Bet that wasn't a Swiss guest.... (sorry, couldn't resist outrageous judgmental comment :D )
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

We've sort of gone half way house.

Being on-site, we provide a list of available DVD's. The guests request & we provide.

CD's - I'm not sure. Musical tastes are a very personal thing.

IMHO - Robert
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Seems to be more and more of an oxymoron but I'm still a firm believer in "parent's responsibility."
Hi All, I totally agree with Debk on this as of course there is an off switch or the use of the word NO...
...as Paolo shows...
unfortunately more & more parents are going for the 'easy' life now[theyll wished they hadnt later as it will make lif sooooo much harder]....
Lady of the household explained that their kids were not allowed to watch TV (ever), listen to CDs (ever) nor read non-approved books.
MG... What puzzles me about this is that if the Lady had bought her kids up to repect her strict views
[ie brainwashed them] Why did she need to hide everything ......
Is she saying that it might not of worked and the first chance the kids got they would rebel by watching TV or ..
shock horror dare to pick up a book that didnt share her narrow minded views... :shock:

So weve got both sides now, Parents who wont say no and parents who always say no...and we wonder why kids get confused..... :? :roll:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I don't think you are to blame at all! Most of our guests bring their own DVDs, although we do the same as Robert and let people borrow ours whenever they want.
annedab

books

Post by annedab »

Thanks all..... it's not just me then :D
The guest comment was actually quite good natured rather than a criticism, but it was just one more thing to add to the list of "we thought we'd thought of everything, but not this". I shall dismiss it from my mind and ponder on the poor kids with no access to books............no books???!!!!! We provide tons of books in our house - my personal nightmare would be being on holiday having run out of things to read. We only bought the house to have somewhere else to accomodate the ever growing piles of books at home :wink: Not sure what an economist would make of that strategy though.............
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?