DVD Player or Blu Ray Player

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
rosebud

DVD Player or Blu Ray Player

Post by rosebud »

I need to replace the DVD player and am wondering whether to get another DVD player or to buy a Blu Ray player (which will also play DVDs)

I have quite a few retired couples staying at my cottage but also younger couples with one child - it sleeps 3.
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

As there's not a great deal of difference in the price between the two you might as well plump for a blu ray player. A lot of guests are able to stream their own films and music to and from their ipads these days so they never use the DVD player anyway Daddy'o, or is it Dude? :( We put in a blu ray when the DVD got stuck with a fitness disc and a chocolate coin, who watches fitness vids whilst eating chocolate pennies anyway? :lol:
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I went for a Blu Ray when I purchased ours. It appears to hardly get used. I think it's one of those items that guests would 'expect' whether they really want to use it or not.
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

I'd definitely go for the Blu Ray. As has been said there's little difference in the price these days and they play both formats. Many players also enable the tv to become a smart TV if it isn't already, allowing the user to watch content like Netflix and AmazonPrime etc etc
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

A graded no-frills Blu-Ray player from a decent manufacturer is about 40 quid. No brainer!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I bought a discontinued Samsung bluray for our apartment when the DVD player broke, it also has smart functions so you can watch Netflix, Iplayer etc which is great if you don't have a smart TV.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

HelenB wrote:I bought a discontinued Samsung bluray for our apartment when the DVD player broke, it also has smart functions so you can watch Netflix, Iplayer etc which is great if you don't have a smart TV.
Only if your broadband streaming speed is fast enough !
What would Plato do ?
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

bornintheuk wrote:
HelenB wrote:I bought a discontinued Samsung bluray for our apartment when the DVD player broke, it also has smart functions so you can watch Netflix, Iplayer etc which is great if you don't have a smart TV.
Only if your broadband streaming speed is fast enough !
:evil: :evil: :evil:
joddle

Post by joddle »

If your TV has a spare hdmi input then definitely get a blu-ray but make sure it has a usb port and/or memory card slot. There are then many advantages which you can then add to your available facilities list. e.g the ability to play films and video rom memory sticks, or check your photos as well as play DVDs, CDs and Blue Ray and many also have smart facilities as well!! I find blu-ray players are often more tolerant when it comes to cd/dvd types and the more modern ones will play many movie file formats which some TVs can struggle with. Having got one we find we now use it all the time - but not so often for playing blu ray!!!
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Assumed that at 1500m altitude and some distance from town it would be slower where we are than elsewhere, but you are probably more rural than me.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

If you get one with an Ethernet or Wifi connection, then it can play from any device connected on your network as there will normally be a media player built into the Blue-ray player.

Many people do bring their own media these days and this makes it easier to play through your TV/speakers.

I got fed up with DVDs getting trashed so all mine are on a hard drive now.
Essar

Post by Essar »

So. Blue Ray is a big fish thing that lives in the Specific Osheon and is 40 feet from wing tip to wing tip and eats Shrill or Dolphins; and DVD is like a blood clot you get from flying CrazyJet to Majorka and sitting in the same position for hours without movering or anything.
Why would you want this in your holiday rental with a link to your telly? If you can get it on the NHS for nothing why would you pay Sky a subscratchion for it?
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
annedab

Post by annedab »

Essar wrote:So. Blue Ray is a big fish thing that lives in the Specific Osheon and is 40 feet from wing tip to wing tip and eats Shrill or Dolphins; and DVD is like a blood clot you get from flying CrazyJet to Majorka and sitting in the same position for hours without movering or anything.
Why would you want this in your holiday rental with a link to your telly? If you can get it on the NHS for nothing why would you pay Sky a subscratchion for it?
Essar, that's twice you have made me snort tea down my nose during what has been a very stressful 24 hours Thank you :lol:

Just to minimize the thread creep, we need a new DVD and this discussion has made me consider a Blue Ray - although our TV is already smart, the tuxedo is very fetching :wink:
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?