Observing local courtesies

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

On the other hand, I assure you there are plenty of French restaurants and upmarket boutiques - I can think of several candidates on the Ile de Ré - where you will hardly receive any acknowledgement even if you are the first to offer a greeting.

Aside from blissful ignorance of local customs, there may also be an element of shyness involved in holidaymakers' reluctance to pro-actively greet / say goodbye ?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Before we skied in Serre Chevalier,where we have our apartment, we used to visit the larger resorts of the Tarentaise, (La Plagne, Les Arcs etc.) Much less courteous, verging on unfriendly at times.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

So is there a difference in attitude in the more popular tourist areas perhaps? Maybe the locals there are so used to being blanked by foreigners they only greet people they know with the customary courtesies?

Yes I agree, it's shyness on the part of some visitors that holds them back, and lack of awareness on the part of others - it took me a while to catch on, and I understand that - so is it wrong to help the newcomer with a few handy hints? There are those visitors who aren't afraid to use their O-level French, but who might still be unaware of certain social niceties, and who'd actually be pleased to participate in them if only they knew what they were!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Manners maketh man, as Wille of Wykeham said, many moons ago, so why not leave a few little cultural pointers? I'm sure guests would find it fascinating reading.

I had some American guests stay this year, and they asked me for advice on tipping, so these snippets of information are obviously welcome.

How about this one:

- I believe visitors from the UK might think it not the 'done thing' to check a restaurant bill too closely, for fear of giving offence? In France - where a healthy spirit of distrust seems to prevail - this is quite acceptable. My husband would not dream of paying without checking the bill closely beforehand. And no, he's not especially tightfisted !

Social niceties, what a minefield :D
Last edited by Rocket Rab on Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

What an interesting topic.

And speaking of Social Niceties, I really like the Portuguese custom of shaking hands on meeting. Whether its the maid, when she comes in to clean, the gardener, the butcher that I visited last week for the first time and was recognized on second visit, its always bom dia/boa tarde or appropriate and shake hands.

But is it our reponsibility as owners to point out these niceties to visitors ? We have some visitors who before they arrive, research the culture, the history, the location and then bring a boxfull of guide books. They would not need further help. Then there are those who come with their passport and return ticket, and want to know which bars are showing the Liverpool(*) game, where is the nearest beach and where can you get a full English breakfast. I wonder if they would care.

My "Villa Manual" concentrates on the peculiarities of the hot water system, what to do when the electricity trips, and where the nearest food shops are. I don't think that I am a travel company or a rep nor is my Villa Manual a travel book. Self catering to me means self sufficiency and independence.

Now, if I were on-site and greeting visitors, thats quite different and would happily talk for hours about anything and everything to do with the area, and local customs - if they wanted to listen !

(*) NB ...Liverpool is only a metaphor for any team, any sport.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

e-richard wrote:Now, if I were on-site and greeting visitors, thats quite different and would happily talk for hours about anything and everything to do with the area, and local customs - if they wanted to listen !
Yes, that certainly makes a difference, and I'd find a way of weaving the topic into the conversation if it felt appopriate - ie if the guests were new to the country. Because we're in a rural area, our guests' expectations are somewhat different anyway, so would be receptive on the whole I think.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Gasc and All, :D

I agree with most of whats been said but its easy to generalise ..There are rude English,Spanish,Frenchetc...as well as polite English.Spanish.... :roll: .

Going on Holiday isnt going to make them different.....
Just more so...the polite ones will become more polite..[cos we are in their country and ought to make an effort...] and the rude ones will become more rude[Im on my holiday so they better get out of my way....]

Hopefully Im in the polite category... :wink:
but its quite hard when your queuing in a Supermarket and the Man behind is poking me in the back to make me move...where to..theres someone in front of me????and he was near enough in my back pocket by the time we got to pay..He was so close the cashier thought we were together..and went onto the next person.. :roll: .
Also in the Markets in Spain the Spanish with the pull along buggies...they just go for it ..over toes ..anything in their path :evil: .
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes, you're right, there is often a second side to things Rozzie.