Website made with Publisher

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
chachiluz

Post by chachiluz »

HI
Just a quick note... I haven´t seen anyone using Publisher. I battled for a while with Frontpage and I even bought website templates (1000s) for 2 pounds!! finally I am using Publisher wish I have found easier. The page is still not finishing but it is getting there. I am at present trying to reduce the size of the photos, and looking at areas that are not loading well... So it will be useful if someone send feedback.

www.marmenorgolfresort.co.uk

Many thanks
Chachiluz
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Chachiluz,

Try posting on the "Website Reviews" forum -- it was set up specifically for that purpose. :)

Cheers!
Brooke
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

If I was you I wouldn't have been so hasty to give up on 'Frontpage' .... whilst it is far from 'perfect' it is capable of producing very good results in the right hands.

Your homepage, built in 'publisher' contains over 24,000 lines of code. Each line has to be read by the browser before the page can be displayed properly ...... it's not just your images that are slowing down your site.

For comparison, the homepage of www.laymyhat.com contains 171 lines of code.
Last edited by livinginitaly on Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Ah, so that's what it was... I just tried looking at the site and it was several moments before each page would even begin to load.

I tried converting a Word document to HTML once... and then tried manually editing the code. What a nightmare! I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Publisher is much, much worse.
Brooke
A-two

Post by A-two »

chachiluz wrote:So it will be useful if someone send feedback.

www.marmenorgolfresort.co.uk
I'm on high speed cable and having a lot of trouble loading the photos. Anyone on dial-up wouldn't stand a chance. I use www.xnview.com for reducing photos (see my site below for examples). It's share ware.

Load the program, open the photo, then click "resize". Try reducing to 500 width to start, but if you know the actual width of these photos, even better. Save as new photo.

Cheers,
Joanna

www.southold-beach-house.com
MadDogWoman

Website review

Post by MadDogWoman »

I'm sorry but I gave up! After 2 minutes on the home page there was still no sign of any pictures. I don't think your punters would be so patient!

I know what you mean about Frontpage. It took me ages to figure it out but in the end head down, a "dummies" book together with some very helpful assistance and feedback from the folk on this forum got me there.

I know nothing about coding at all but I do know that resizing pictures makes a huge difference to download times.

From the comments from other reviewers it sounds like you may need to give something like Frontpage another go. If you have the text and pictures sorted already you are at least halfway there!
paolo

Post by paolo »

The pics on the homepage are just under 1 Mb each! First thing to do is to reduce those to 20 kb or less, then we can take a better look at it.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

No, when you 'right click' over an image and view properties .... it's the size of the 'index.htm' that is displayed, it's 914260 bytes. Thats the 24,000 lines of code.

Short of downloading the whole site using Alans 'Website Copier' i can't see how to view the image size. Similar thing happens with sites produced by 'word' as mentioned.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Tony,

I'm in Firefox and right-clicking + Properties on an image does give me the file size.

The images are actually pretty well-optimized, under 12K in size.

As you said, it's definitely the sheer length of code that's bogging things down. I'd estimate that 99% of that code is completely unnecessary.

What would happen if Chachiluz opened the site in Frontpage or Dreamweaver? Would those eliminate the extra code automatically? I wouldn't think so, but I'm old-school in that I always write the code myself, line by line -- no drag 'n drop for me. So I don't know about this stuff. For a code as bogged down as this, I'd probably just start over and mimic the design. I don't think it'd be that hard...

Edit: Forgot to add: Mozilla triumphs again! :) Sorry, I just have to add that whenever I get the slightest chance. Heehee.
Brooke
chachiluz

Post by chachiluz »

Hi
Thank you for all the feedback... so quick. Sorry I used the wrong area for the website. I really wanted to comment on Publisher. Finally my husband is going to work on the webpage this week. I have already began to reduce all the photos using Photoshop and should make the website easier to download.

I have also read all the adviced that you have put in this forum, althought I feel it is going to take me ages before I am any good.

thanks again
:lol:

chachiluz
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

Vrooje
What would happen if Chachiluz opened the site in Frontpage or Dreamweaver?
Not sure what would happen if that much code was let loose .... I think possibly the computer would 'melt' under the strain and she'd then spend the rest of the night 'mopping' up the spilt code from the floor ;)

Congrats on using Firefox btw, I wish i remembered to use it more often!

chachiluz,
No one, has really commented on the 'design' or 'layout' of your site .... and on the whole I'd say it's certainly above average. What lets it down is your choice of software and not your own ability.

Good luck with the rework :)
johntaylor

Publisher

Post by johntaylor »

Hi Chachiluz,
We used publisher for our site:
www.our-spanish-villa.co.uk
Left it to the wife to learn Dreamweaver!!
John