Another IPhone problem

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
zebedee

Another IPhone problem

Post by zebedee »

Help please!
I have just found that all the information kept in the "notes" section of my IPhone have disappeared. Does anyone know how to retrieve this information? I certainly did not delete it. Nothing that a Google search in the way of suggestions has worked.
Thanks
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Do you back up the phone? If so they should be on your itunes account from the last time you backed up. If you use icloud it's possible to have back ups there although I haven't yet managed to do mine! Finally there's usually some software you can buy that can retrieve things. I lost all my contacts; my iphone literally self destructed and destroyed its own memory. I bought software that retrieved most of them as the iphone also locked me out of my back ups. Iphones are brill when they work but little s*ds when they go wrong. Good luck.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Thank you Nemo.

It now seems that the problem may be because of an issue with the new download. We did find adverts for "free to download software" to correct the problem, but then once downloaded when you tried to use the software it asked for a credit card. We were reluctant to go any further in case we purchased something that did not work.

After further searching on the Internet for solutions, some of my notes have been found within emails, sometimes in a folder called Notebook, sometimes in regular email lists. None of my notes that I had saved were ever saved within emails. So far have managed to recover a lot of the missing data but still cannot find some essential notes. Will keep trying.

Anyone with an IPhone, I would suggest you back it up today. Mine gets backed up, but had not been done for a while. This does not appear to have influenced what I have managed to retrieve though, as some data was saved within my notes just recently and was never backed up.

Another point, I tried to register on the Apple website help section. They asked for the serial number of my phone and showed exactly where I would find the number. I did what they said, found the serial number and entered it on the form, only to be told it was not recognised as a serial number ! :evil:

Edited to add: by the way, I had not intentionally downloaded the new software as I was aware of an issue with it. However, it downloaded into an IPad that I thought was linked to my OH phone, not mine, but which had my email accounts on it. The software got through regardless.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

You can choose where to save your notes - on your phone or in iCloud or in your email account of your domains. If you have chosen to save them not on your iphone, they may be in any of these other accounts which you can probably retrieve.
Unless you particularly want to have notes only accessible from your iPhone, it is best not to save them there...