Should I build a pool

For anything to do with the garden and pool
bananacake

Should I build a pool

Post by bananacake »

Hi all,

I'm toying with the idea of building a pool.

Are there any processes I should be following regarding safety for guests and rental owner protection in the unlikely event of a guest accident such as T&Cs etc...?

Also, do you think a pool would attract more guests and worth the investment? Or is it more of a headache to maintain?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Yes, you'll get many more bookings and will be able to charge more. The cost of building a pool will normally add to the value of the house. The maintenance is not that difficult and you'd likely pay someone else to do it.

Legally you probably just have to meet the safety requirements of the country in which the pool is located. I've no idea about Italy.

... but it's a lot of digging!
teapot

Post by teapot »

If you can find out the regulations I would be interested to hear them.

It will, as Kev said, earn you more and increase your bookings.

A badly constructed pool is more of a headache, a well constructed pool is easy to look after.

How well the water circulates around the pool and how good the filtration are key elements. There are many pool companies employing fancy graphics of how they would like you to believe the circulation of the water works in their pool but most of these are completely wrong. That doesn't mean they don't work, they just don't work as well as they say they do so you as an owner have to carry out the work to maintain the pool where their ideas fail. The better the pool the less work for you.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

You could look at an above ground pool, not one of the cheap inflatable types, which would be a lot less hassle and cost. Then you can see what effect it has on enquiries/bookings.
Do you have other comparable letting properties in your area with pools ? Check their availability calendars if they have them and see what prices they are charging then you can do the sums.
What would Plato do ?
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

Not sure about régulations in Italy but regarding the effect on income, my first rental property in France had no pool but after 4 years I saw the difference in rental for similar properties with pools, and went ahead and installed an in ground pool. This not only doubled the income but also increased the rental period and I reckon I recovered the investment in 10 years as well as increasing the value of the property.
Honi soit qui peu y boit