Extra guests?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

PW in Polemi wrote:
Fleur wrote:There's always the case that a couple may prefer to sleep in separate rooms / beds and want to use more than one room. :(

I seriously think some people do consider they are renting the house / property and can then invite extra people to come and go as they please.
Many of our couples specifically book a two bedroomed place because one snores/thrashes around/reads late/whatever! :lol:

After a bad over-occupancy episode in our first season, we changed our contract so it now stipulates that only those guests named in the contract may stay and any alterations are with our prior approval only. No over occupancy problems since then. :lol:
Yes, I recall one of our early bookings which turned nightmare and the guest inadvertany admitting his 2/3 mates joining them for his birthday for a few days and brining the bedding from their hotel with them!
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Fleur wrote:There's always the case that a couple may prefer to sleep in separate rooms / beds and want to use more than one room. :(

Kyrenia girl what happened when you queried your recently proposed over occupancy ?

I seriously think some people do consider they are renting the house / property and can then invite extra people to come and go as they please.
I girded my loins and emailed them. Pointed out that it was named guests only and they had a discounted rate because there were just 2 of them. Took 2 days but I got an apology and they left £60 in the house for me which meant they paid for the full house. Result! The fact that they completely rearranged my kitchen cupboards and it took ages to put it all back is another story 😊
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Aw thanks for letting us know the outcome. Good that they paid in full but a shame about the kitchen cupboard rearrangement.

Every time we return to our Fr. house after we have let it to holiday guest I spend quite some time rearranging and putting things back where they belong. i.e. where I like to find them. :roll:
Fleur
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

kyreniagirl wrote:The fact that they completely rearranged my kitchen cupboards and it took ages to put it all back is another story 😊
I've currently got 6 business colleagues/sharers in. When I went in to do a mid stay clean, I noticed that they had literally emptied all the kitchen cupboards, and had stuffed all my equipment etc into just one cupboard or left it on the work surfaces, so that they could all have a cupboard each for their food (living like students). I am not going to be at all happy if they don't wipe out all the cupboards of food and put everything back as they found it.

Sorry Kate24; I'm always digressing. :)
Jayno

Post by Jayno »

We are with Airbnb after changing from bookings.com and I prefer it for the simple reason we get to talk to prospective guests and can determine the dynamics of their group before accepting the booking. Some people really try to push the rules. We had an experience a few years back with our wee apartment, which is a bedroom and wee bathroom, a living room with kitchenette and sofa bed , which I think is only suitable for children and would never recommend an adult sleep on it for too many nights, anyway, had a couple staying with a baby , who were already pushing my buttons and being very needy, they asked if her sister could come to stay as she was in the area, I made up the sofa bed for one person, sister turns up with husband and two kids! I was horrified and peeved to say the least, she came asking for more linen and pillows, I refused. Since then we've been strict on numbers and then there's the people who turn up with a dog they didn't tell you about and they leave him in the room all day while they go sight seeing because it would be too hot in the car! Another story!
lester1meg

Post by lester1meg »

I've got very firm about turning down Airbnb bookings where people try to add extra people. Just had very cross group because I won't accept 9 plus two children and a baby for a house that sleeps 8 and which is totally unsuitable for small children. Have offered them a larger house but of course they don't want to pay more!
On the other hand lovely people in another house rang to ask if a friend could stay one night so they could have a drink and not have to take her back to the station and I said yes. But it wasn't over occupancy and she shared the double bed with her friend. Even turned down the offered towel.