Town mouse, country mouse. T&C advice please.

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
annedab

Town mouse, country mouse. T&C advice please.

Post by annedab »

If all goes well, we will soon be making a change from on-site owners of 2 rural gites to off-site owners of a small village property. I am about to embark on revising out terms and conditions and clearly there will be a number of additional things that I need to consider. The house is in a village that is very lively in the summer months - weekly night markets with live music and a very well attended three day arts festival at the end of July which starts late and does feature events in the street that the house is on (last year it was fire juggling!) Is anyone willing to share some basic t&cs to get me started? Assuming I can resist all the enquiries for 7 people plus a horse and a pet eagle :lol:, our market will be mainly adults or couples with a small baby. Mains drainage, neighbours and the opposite of rural silence are a little different to what we have been used to, any pointers would be much appreciated :)
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
Circé

Post by Circé »

Not sure if it's your Ts & Cs you need to consider first, what about your marketing in terms of the info you present on your website & in enquiries?
We have a similar-sounding property amongst those we manage, & the owner promotes it as a slice of village life. We were worried about the annual fête almost next door, but everyone who's been in the house during the fête has had a whale of a time! The owner is upfront about it and sells it in a positive manner if he gets enquiries for that period, and clearly says that if folk want peace & quiet this isn't the property for them in mid-August.
Be honest about the parking situation if they can't park next door.
The notes we leave in the house also warn about market day parking and the 'odd' rubbish collection arrangements as there are no outside bins or skips in the historic centre.
We still ask for nappies etc NOT to be flushed down the loo, saying that the town drains are ancient and need to be paid some respect.
Otherwise the notes & general conditions are pretty much the same as any other property.
annedab

Post by annedab »

Circé wrote: We have a similar-sounding property amongst those we manage, & the owner promotes it as a slice of village life. We were worried about the annual fête almost next door, but everyone who's been in the house during the fête has had a whale of a time! The owner is upfront about it and sells it in a positive manner if he gets enquiries for that period, and clearly says that if folk want peace & quiet this isn't the property for them in mid-August.
Just the sort of thing I was after Circe. Thank you!

ps - t and cs are nowhere near the first thing we have thought about, it just happens to be one of the many, many things in my head this morning so I thought I'd post before it gets displaced by something else :)
Regards

Anne

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

What's this discrimination against horses (and eagles)? :lol:

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
annedab

Post by annedab »

No problem at all with a horse Mols, or indeed an eagle, but putting the two together is a sure fire recipe for disaster :lol: :lol:
Regards

Anne

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Ooh I dunno, I've got a picture which suggests otherwise - unfortunately I don't know how to insert it here, so you'll have to miss out! :roll:

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

annedab wrote:No problem at all with a horse Mols, or indeed an eagle, but putting the two together is a sure fire recipe for disaster :lol: :lol:
Putting them together is absolutely fine, so long as you state in your t&cs that they must wear nappies that definitely shouldn't be flushed down the loo :lol:

Seriously, providing you're not marketing your place as a tranquil getaway, I can only see benefits in renting a place in such a lively spot! Hope it all goes well with your new venture.
annedab

Post by annedab »

I don't think the word tranquil will feature in our summer marketing :lol:

Winter is a whole different kettle of fish, but it is one of the stops on the St Jacques de Compostella route so it isn't entirely devoid of visitors. No fire juggling though :lol:
Regards

Anne

Circé

Post by Circé »

BTW, the little town house we manage does accept dogs. We have only ever had 2, both on short stays en route for elsewhere. I leave a 'doggy welcome pack', nothing to do with the owner's welcome and it costs me zilch:
a couple of my own (clean) dog towels
a handful of poo bags from the local dispenser thingy
a copy of the town map with off-lead walkies places highlighted
a map showing slightly further afield dog rambles (may need a car to get there)
a couple of doggy bix
one hide dog chew
The humans were delighted and gave 5/5 TA reviews for the whole property and mentioned the doggy welcome!