A Booking from The Guardian

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
ellerhow

A Booking from The Guardian

Post by ellerhow »

We've just had a booking for the last summer high season week we had left from a feature in the Guardian.
We don't know if it's online only but it's come as a complete surprise!
http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/ ... ummer-2016
We are an 'Architectural Wonder', next but one below the Landmark Trust's Gothic Temple at Stowe. :D
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

That's great! Did you have a 'secret shopper' I wonder? I had a journalist from a walking magazine once and she wrote two articles on walks, mentioning where she stayed but I never got any booking from it and she got a discounted stay (but for a period in November that I don't normally seek to let).

What struck me looking at all those places was the wildly different pricings. An isolated cottage in the Lake District where you have to bring your own sheets and which has NO bathroom (yikes!) and a loo in the basement is £642/week high season for 4 people and a nice little cottage for four people in the grounds of Blenheim Palace (so both good on location in their own ways) is £450/week high season. It makes me think how incredibly difficult it is to know what to charge.
ellerhow

Post by ellerhow »

I don't think we had a 'Secret Shopper' as I don't think they would have linked to HL. We have had a couple of journalists in the past but it's such a long time ago now.
The isolated cottage in the Lakes is a National Trust holiday let who charge well over the going rate. The Blenheim Palace cottage does seem remarkably cheap- I wonder if they have missed off a 1 at the beginning?
We are in with some highly esteemed company!
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Well done!!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

How fab! I bet you're pleased as punch....and very proud, as you should be.

Hope there's more bookings to come!

Mousie
x
CSE

Post by CSE »

Mouse, in case you had not noticed this is an historic thread raised by someone who has a signature which is not related to anything to the vacation rental market.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

CSE wrote:Mouse, in case you had not noticed this is an historic thread raised by someone who has a signature which is not related to anything to the vacation rental market.
I hadn't.....thank you!

Mouse (who must pay more attention!)
x