Fasthosts

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Jemima Copping

Fasthosts

Post by Jemima Copping »

I've just had an email from Fasthosts about domain privacy, 5.99.
I would like to have the Hatters opinion about this. My name, email address, address, phone number are already on my website for all to see. Is there any point in spending an extra 20 quid or so
on this? (i own other domain names as well).

http://fasthosts-email.co.uk/128F-469Q2 ... V-1/c.aspx
Better to be mutton dressed as lamb than mutton dressed as mutton!
DaveT

Re: Fasthosts

Post by DaveT »

Jemima Copping wrote:Is there any point in spending an extra 20 quid or so on this?
No, not really. If your details are already on the website then no point in hiding them from WHOIS.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

I've had the same email and it's actually the opposite of what we want. On our web site we have a section about 'booking with confidence' and it includes telling enquirers that they can verify that we have owned our domain names for several years. They can also see that our whois contact details are consistent with those on our web site. I'm sure we get spam because our details are 'out there' but I can deal with that.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Joanna is saying what I think. I'm sure it's a good idea in some cases, but if you're running a business that is heavily reliant on trust it's very important to consider what message is given out if you actively appear to be hiding your identity.