Enquirers who don't read the listing

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
PW in Polemi

Enquirers who don't read the listing

Post by PW in Polemi »

We're getting fed up of receiving enquiries (yaaay!) only to realise that :( boo hoo

They don't fit in with existing bookings although the calendar is always up to date.

They don't fit in with maximum occupancy of 4 although this is VERY clearly stated.

They don't fit in with our "no children under 12" rule although this is VERY clearly stated.

They ask questions like "are restaurants, shops and night life within walking distance" - when our listing clearly states car essential, nearest restaurant/shops 3km away and that this is a quiet rural location.

These enquiries all seem to come from HA/OD so I'm assuming that the enquirers have clicked on the "would you like to enquire of these similar properties too" button, without actually looking at the specific listings.

Anybody know of a way to stop these enquiries coming in? Is there a setting on the HA dashboard we've missed? Yes, I know this type of enquiry can be turned into an opportunity to communicate with the would-be guest and maybe turn them into a firm booking, but if a family of 5 or even 6 enquire of a sleeps 4, there's no way they're going to abandon little Johnny and his twin sister Jemima just because there are no beds for them and we don't take under 12s anyway! And as for the families who don't want to hire a car, well, I just hope they are really really keen hikers who don't mind risking sunstroke in August. :roll:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
tavi

Post by tavi »

sympathies PW

I've had loads of enquiries (through OD and Mediahols) recently (after months of little or nothing) I have an empty calendar showing on OD, I know some of you think it's unfair on the travellers but half the time, as you say, people don't even seem to have checked the calendar. Or it's over-occupancy or want to bring a dog/cat/parrot.
Personally I don't blame them for just enquiring anyway, searching on OD is now becoming a major chore for the traveller and many owners/managers never even reply to enquiries.

I could scream with frustration waiting to hear back from two possibilities from yesterday - both of whom had flexible dates so real good prospects to fill up the calendar gaps. arghhh.

Still, all the email addresses (and to hell with Data Protection - they can unsubscribe at any time) are being added to my newsletter When the listing sites complete their morph into Online Travel Agents they will be completely unworkable for me.

onwards :)
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Yes, its frustrating, but if you list with any of the big sites, then you have to expect more of this.

The guests are just sending a generic standard enquiry to 10, 15, or maybe even 20 properties in the hope that they get back 2 or 3 replies.

Don't take it as a personal affront to you, it's just a sad reflection on the abundance of hobby owners who are not diligent in replying.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
BIGBROS

Post by BIGBROS »

We find this alot with Airbnb that they don't read the listing.We have a seafront apartment in Spain, and because i know not everyone travels in big groups and apartment/hotel prices are crazy here in high season, we decided to offer rooms within the apartment on a bed and breakfast basis...do they read that...no, they expect the whole apartment to themselves and to be self catrering so use the kitchen.
Now considering in August a whole apartment is 800 pounds a week, surely when its 250 pounds a week for a couple sharing a room, they can work out its not the whole apartment...but no, they get quite indignent when i point out they cant use the kitchen.
russellt

Post by russellt »

e-richard wrote:hobby owners
Errrr.... Is there a definition?

Or is it simply that those who do reply diligently are not hobby owners?
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

russellt wrote:
Not my terminology. I've seen it used all over the place.

I think it refers essentially to those owners who do not need any income, but welcome it when it happens. While they typically hand over their property to agents and forget about it - some may load up an advert themselves and forget about it. If an enquiry arrives and they are not otherwise engaged, then they will reply.

It does happen.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Essar

Post by Essar »

e-richard wrote:
russellt wrote:
Not my terminology. I've seen it used all over the place.

I think it refers essentially to those owners who do not need any income, but welcome it when it happens. While they typically hand over their property to agents and forget about it - some may load up an advert themselves and forget about it. If an enquiry arrives and they are not otherwise engaged, then they will reply.

It does happen.
You can include all the "lock up and leave" owners who have second homes and only use them ocasionally themselves. They often will rent them out through a local agent or listing site for the peak periods - usually school holidays. With the idea of getting enough income to pay all the standing charges such as Ground Rent & Service Charge and the utilities the guests use. These are the ones who tend not to get back to travellers and often don't update the calendars. You can see them with just a few seasonal rates in the tariff, sometimes not even for the current year. There are about 200 in Bournemouth alone, most of which are breaking the terms of their leasehold.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
russellt

Post by russellt »

Perhaps we need to segment the supply side of our market.

We have the 'hobby owners' and the 'lock-up & leaves'. Any other owner groupings come to mind? :lol:

BTW, I'm pretty shocked by
maybe even 20 properties in the hope that they get back 2 or 3 replies
Is this the consensus on LMH? If so, this in conjunction with the booking fees suggests the global sites are doing a pretty poor job of quality control at an ever-increasing cost..... which all bodes well for a future return to guests doing their own legwork and booking direct instead of wasting time with such an unacceptable hit-rate from the big sites.

(:P I received another booking direct from the website today. Am convinced guests are becoming more savvy)
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
Essar

Post by Essar »

You will find that the listing sites are actively trying to stamp out this sort of activity by insisting that these types of owners use the commission model of listing. This means that calendars and tariffs have to be up to date for the "from nnnn per night/week" display in the listings to work properly. By inventing the "response time", "response ratio" and "acceptance rate" statistics they can wheedle out non-compliance and get rid of them. They have started to do this with their agency hosts. Hobby owners who don't keep things up to date will drop down the rankings and end up with no bookings. There will come a time when they will just delete the properties that don't comply.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
mmg

Post by mmg »

Our listings all mention twice that we do not accommodate pets.

Guest booked via listing site, messages back and forth, thank you for booking, deposit received, balance received etc.. Ten days before arrival I sent directions and key handover details. Message from guest: we have an old Labrador, part of the family, it's ok to bring her?
My reply: As per our listing we are unable to accommodate pets.
Guest: Yes, but can we bring our dog?