What words would you not use

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
vacancesthezan

What words would you not use

Post by vacancesthezan »

We have received our weekly email from rentivo.

One article is about words that they wouldnt recommend that you use in a VRL.

"14 Words to Never Include in Your Vacation Rental Listing"

What words would YOU not use? We have come up with:

Poky, shabby chic, nice, expensive, ticks all the boxes, great location,

We feel sure that other LMHers can come up with some "great words that you will never forget".
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Flee bitten?
Cheers
PC
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

What is wrong with 'great location'? Means exactly what it says and totally harmless isn't it? :?
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

Bunny wrote:What is wrong with 'great location'? Means exactly what it says and totally harmless isn't it? :?
Absolutely nothing. Just wanted to see who was reading!! Something to think about when we are cleaning 4 apartments and ironing a mountain of laundry before Friday when we start all over again.

We have probably used it ourselves on the odd occasion! A bit tired maybe? What do other LMHers think?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Homely - it has a different meaning to Americans

Cottage - An apartment or flat, a house, a villa, a tent are not cottages so why has everyone in the UK started called every property a cottage?
Last edited by kevsboredagain on Wed May 18, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Sorry vacancesthezan, I just read that back. I didn't mean to sound aggressive. I consider myself to be in a great location and it is a very common expression so I found that particular one a bit odd out of the list from Rentivo.
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Fag has a different meaning in America, as in, you can't have a fag in our cottage as its smoke free :D
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

Bunny wrote:Sorry vacancesthezan, I just read that back. I didn't mean to sound aggressive. I consider myself to be in a great location and it is a very common expression so I found that particular one a bit odd out of the list from Rentivo.
None taken. Felt the need to lighten the load here with all the turn arounds to do. First "biggy" of the year so the email came as light relief

We feel sure that people will agree or disagree with some of what rentivo and we have said! We would happily use good or great in an advert and couldnt see any problem with this.

We dont like gite being used to describe our apartments Gite to us means a totally self contained property in its own grounds (probably a house,villa or dare we say cottage!!).

This is all fun so dont take offensive and be as contentious as you like! This is why it is posted here.
GRL

Post by GRL »

"Perfect"

No property or holiday can possibly be perfect and you set your guests up for disappointment should the the slightest thing be wrong.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

vacancesthezan wrote:We dont like gite being used to describe our apartments Gite to us means a totally self contained property in its own grounds (probably a house,villa or dare we say cottage!!).
Totally agree with you on that one. :D
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

"luxury".

An entirely subjective word and a dangerous one to assume.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

FelicityA wrote:"luxury".

Is not any adjective subjective?
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

kevsboredagain wrote:

I am talking about a subjective perspective as against an objective perspective. I am not quite sure what you are on about? No, not every adjective is subjective - they are based on indisputable fact - the 16th century beams, the old dog, the red kitchen etc. I think luxury (which I class as high up there on the subjective word list) means different things to different people so it is a risky one to play with in terms of expectations.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Just to show how subjective the word 'luxury' is. IMO a self catering property could never be described as 'luxury' unless it came with a cook, daily maid, chauffeur, masseur etc. But then it wouldn't be self catering would it. Others, of course, may disagree.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

FelicityA wrote:
kevsboredagain wrote:

I am talking about a subjective perspective as against an objective perspective. I am not quite sure what you are on about? No, not every adjective is subjective - they are based on indisputable fact - the 16th century beams, the old dog, the red kitchen etc. I think luxury (which I class as high up there on the subjective word list) means different things to different people so it is a risky one to play with in terms of expectations.
OK excluding adjectives such as colours or dates obviously but most others.
What about "perfect" ?