Embassy address

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Moliere wrote:
Nemo wrote:Uneducated halfwits - well that's a tad harsh and not entirely true, but there are some in every country, so it's not peculiar to Britain. :wink:
Nemo - I was self-deprecatingly referring to me and my British colleagues in the office (most of whom were also graduates) - not to Brits in general!

I also loved the row between two Italian colleagues, where one said "Anyway, you should call me dottore because I have a degree", to which the other replied "Then you should call me dottore dottore, because I have two degrees!"

Mols :wink:
Yes Mols, the Italians just love using their titles.
For formal use lawyers should be addressed as 'Avvocato Smith'
And anyone with a degree is immediately 'Dottore' which can be confusing if you are thinking in terms of medicine when it could be a degree in sociology, history, architecture or economics etc!!!!!

How about Geometra for which only a high school graduation is needed in technical construction. (Roughly equivalent to a Draughtsman). I could continue......!
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Well, what about "Maestro". I heard it once in Italy in reference to a government minister, who visited where I was staying.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

Moliere wrote: I also loved the row between two Italian colleagues, where one said "Anyway, you should call me dottore because I have a degree", to which the other replied "Then you should call me dottore dottore, because I have two degrees!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6fVDAjs9f0

Dottore dottore dottore!
pambon

Post by pambon »

AndrewH wrote:Well, what about "Maestro". I heard it once in Italy in reference to a government minister, who visited where I was staying.
AFAIK this term is used for the conductor of orchestras and also for acclaimed craftsmen. Never heard it used for ministers. Next May we are hosting the G7 here (heaven help us) so who knows, I may hear it used then :lol: