What do I need to know in order to take my own bookings ?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
charliechoice

What do I need to know in order to take my own bookings ?

Post by charliechoice »

Hello everyone,
I am new to this site, and would be most grateful for some good advice. We currently let our apartment through an agent, but for the coming season we are considering taking the bookings ourselves, thus saving the commission we are paying. What steps would we need to take in order to take payments by credit card for example ? Any other good advice would be much appreciated.
debk

Post by debk »

Advice?

Pour yourself a nice glass of wine and start reading through the old postings. You'll find a wealth of information.

Welcome to LMH!
debk
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Charlie,

Welcome!

Agreed, there is a lot of information already here, so use the forum search function liberally, and many of your questions will probably be answered without you having to take the time to post and then wait for a response!

Of course, if you have a question that isn't easily searchable or that you can't find the answer to, don't hesitate to ask. :)
Brooke
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Charlie..

1. Create your own website (or get someone to do it for you) with good photos of the property.

2. List your property on as many rental listing sites within your annual advertising budget. You will find there is a thread on this forum dedicated to holiday rental listing sites, so I would definitely recommend checking this thread.

3. You can incorporate the facility for clients to pay via Paypal through your own website. (However, I think there is a set limit for transfers from non-registered users.)

Hope this helps.
charliechoice

Post by charliechoice »

many thanks for the response to my query. I've got a feeling that this forum is going to prove invaluable, i'm so glad that I happened to discover it.

regards Charlie.
giofed

Post by giofed »

Ok as other said, website is fundamental.

Paypal can help, and it may be the only solution if you wish to have hassle-free transactions. Otherwise you may have to have a company with a company number, with a bank account in the company's name, a merchant account guarantee by your bank... a MESS!

Paypal may have some downsides: 3 to 4% commissions on amount transferred, though this is the owest on the market.
As previously said, paypal limits the transfer to non certified users (they have to register anyway to pay you, though it's not a complicated process at all). The limit is 750 euros.

How to go around this? Avoid asking for CC and go for bank transfer
OR ask for 50% (or 750 euros) now and the rest 60 days prior to arrival through bank transfer or upon arrival in cash.

MOST IMPORTANT!!!
B4 you go on your own.... are you going to be visible? How are you going to get customers? If you do not even have a website, I seriously doubt you are going to be in first page on SE (search engines) next season. Are you planning on going for ADWORDS? Well, just to let you know, an average campaign can cost up to 500 euros per month.

As far as I know, the latter is the most important issue. Better to pay some commission than going for an all-empty !!!