Refund of paypal

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
roxytoo

Refund of paypal

Post by roxytoo »

I am a little confused! If clients pay via paypal for their secuirty deposit then presumable the 4% charge stills applies to that payment. Does this mean that although you can refund the correct amount without charge to yourself back to them they are still paying 4% on that 100 or so initially which they, as guests, do not get back? Sorry but does that make sense :lol: :shock:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

The 4% charge is applied to you, not to your client -- so if you charge them $100 they'll pay that, and you'll receive $96 of it. (If you want them to pay the 4%, you'll have to manually calculate it and charge them extra.)

When you go to refund the deposit from that, PayPal will refund all or part of the fee. So if all $100 was the security deposit, and you refund it all, you are refunding the $96 that got to you, and PayPal puts up the other $4. In effect, it erases the transaction -- PayPal doesn't keep the fee.

I hope that's the answer to the question you asked? :)
Brooke
roxytoo

paypal

Post by roxytoo »

Hmm I think so!! I don't want guests to pay charges on monies from paypal that I am refunding (and neither do I!) so If I work out a rental price of say £130 rental should I be working the 4% onto the £130, add the £100 secuirty deposit as it is, so do I ask £239.20 or £235.20?
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Oh! I forgot to add that for a refund, the guest doesn't pay any charges at all...
Brooke
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

As long as you refund within 60 days of them paying it.
roxytoo

paypal

Post by roxytoo »

thanks everyone!
giofed

Post by giofed »

It's always a good habit to let the guest know in advance of the 4% and charge them for that....
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have included the 4% in my rental fees, as I try and get all my visitors to use Paypal as a method of payment.
giofed

Post by giofed »

Even better!