Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Was it worth it?

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Knighting

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Was it worth it? Reply with quote

I have watched the progress of Tansie's personal website from beginning to end. I have been very impressed with the time and effort people have devoted to it's creation. I now have one question. Was it worth it in the sense of, has it made any difference to her enquiries and her bookings?

Alan
alexia s.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tansie has already given her short-term reply to this, but a year's survey would be - will be - interesting.
ourinns

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if the answer is "no", we're all in big trouble as no single person would have the time, skills and stamina to match what's been done with her site here.

However, the issue is a bit more complex than asking whether or not the effort put in has made a difference. The problem is that the effort itself has had the effect of having her site mentioned on the net a whole lot more than normal which, at the end of the day, might have the bigger effect. How you'd be able to isolate the effect of the site improvements from the additional mentions, who knows?

Don't think I'm running down all the effort that's been put in, but some allowance would need to be taken of the additional referrals that she'd have simply by being mentioned here (and presumably on other similar sites) on a regular basis.

Arnold
giofed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mascamps wrote:
I think if the answer is "no", we're all in big trouble as no single person would have the time, skills and stamina to match what's been done with her site here.

However, the issue is a bit more complex than asking whether or not the effort put in has made a difference. The problem is that the effort itself has had the effect of having her site mentioned on the net a whole lot more than normal which, at the end of the day, might have the bigger effect. How you'd be able to isolate the effect of the site improvements from the additional mentions, who knows?

Arnold

Hello,

I hate to be posh, but you are really getting impressed by things that should not impress you.

I mean, the website is nice and informative, but the coding part is really easy, and the layout very basic.

The very catchy flash animations are a 5 minute job that anyone can put in the website.

Using frames, has she has, is not so good for SE. The way she has used them is REALLY bad. It looks like you are always on the same page. And GG (google) is going to think the same. GG will eventually realize that frames are used, but it will do it slowly, if it ever gets to it!

The homepage does not even have a title!!! (pretty bad)

I could not even find an availability request form, the least user friendly option one can use.

All things said, it still remains a good website, especially for the content. Still, it is a bit small. Any excuse to create additional pages would increase visibility.

The real question is, can one achieve more visibility with a new website (same domain)? Well, if the code is REALLY SE friendly, yes, but just a tiny bit more.

The real way to get visible is to get backlinks and SE popularity.

So, Arnold, I don't think we can track the success rate by the measure of how pretty or functional a site is, whereas, from how well optimized and user friendly it is.
vrooje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giofed,

Note the date of the post right before yours.

I'm 99% sure that Tansy's site has had a major overhaul since that post...

And, the frame redirect you've mentioned may be a temporary solution. We haven't heard from Tansy in a while, but that's certainly a possible explanation.

I agree with you that frames are not the best thing for SEO, but the noframes text does at least link to the real page.

Quote:
the coding part is really easy, and the layout very basic.

The very catchy flash animations are a 5 minute job that anyone can put in the website.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Perhaps we just disagree on our definitions of "really easy," but that remark seems a bit dismissive to me either way. I'm sure that wasn't your intent, but I read it that way at first.

However, it is a moot point, since the site that's now there is not the same site that we all discussed, and Tansy has not asked for a review of the new site.
giofed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'r right! Sorry I did not look at the date first! Anyway, I did not mean to degrade anyone's effort, is that at times users here may think that something is really difficult to implement, then they ask their webmaster who charges ridiculus prices for things that employ him or her for 5 minutes.... that was the intent of that section in my post.

Thanks for your reply!
How to build your own personal website from scratch