Credit card payment

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
OrangeBlossom

CC-payments and protection

Post by OrangeBlossom »

Thanks for the clarification and link, Abode.

Sounds like the main advantage for the customer using a credit card via PayPal or WorldPay is mainly that they don't have to pay upfront months before their holiday.
abode

Post by abode »

I applied for Worldpay card acceptance last week and I'm waiting to hear if it's been successful.

I intend to accept card payments using Worldpay's "Payby link". I've quizzed both the Worldpay sales team and their SaferPayments team (they handle the PCI DSS compliance) on whether completing the compliance will provide S75 cover for customers. They don't have a clear answer (yes or no!). PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard) appears to be more about protecting the cardholder (and the card issuer) from data breaches and fraud rather than protecting the customer from scam traders or offering the S75 protection - unless I am missing something.
Success is never final; failure is never fatal - Conrad Hilton - Be My Guest
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

I have Free to Book online booking on my website but without credit card payments. Until recently I had an OD ad which gave me the option to take card payments (although it was only requested once, back when I also had a HA ad, and it was a disaster with Yapstone/HRP/HA internally cancelling the payment, but not refunding to cardholder and sending him reminders that he hadn't paid.... a real nightmare to sort out and we then tried using paypal which also gave problems as they held onto the payments for 10 weeks and charged more than I was expecting because it came from Canada). So I'm also interested in adding cc payments, but don't anticipate taking many payments that way.

It's a confusing area for me. Could I ask for some clarification and advice on whats already been written above?

1. As I have FTB maybe using their stripe or fabpay options would be most straightforward....but as well as the individual transaction percentages their stripe option has an annual fee of £89+vat and fabpay requires merchant services which are min £10 per month, so neither are cost effective if it may not be taking many/any cc payments....?

2. The wave option also uses stripe? but has no annual/setup fees? Can anyone who has already setup and taken a payment via wave confirm that please. If not to Wave, was there a setup fee to pay to stripe? Can the Wave system be incorporated into a website or is it only via sending a separate invoice?

Thanks in advance
OrangeBlossom

Post by OrangeBlossom »

Dotty wrote:I have Free to Book online booking on my website but without credit card payments. Until recently I had an OD ad which gave me the option to take card payments ... and it was a disaster with Yapstone/HRP/HA internally cancelling the payment, but not refunding to cardholder and sending him reminders that he hadn't paid.... a real nightmare to sort out
I'm having similar problems. Yapstone/OD sent a payment reminder to someone who had paid me via bank transfer and have now sent me mail telling me they are refunding a deposit to a client who did may a payment to them but didn't pay the security deposit to them but direct to me. The client is having to wait for his deposit to be returned because I'm not willing to send it to him only to find out that they too have sent money to him.
VillaAntonioLanzarote

Wave payment

Post by VillaAntonioLanzarote »

Dotty
We use Wave payment , no set up fee , no monthly fee
The cost for us is circa 1.9% per transaction includes debit cards and Amex
We send an invoice which allows the guest to submit card details and make payment
Works really well for us as we like to have so little bit of control on the amount and who is paying
Hope that helps
Larry
www.villaantonio.co.uk
Villa Antonio Lanzarote
a place to relax & unwind
www.villaantonio.co.uk
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

I use free to book as well, and have recently set up credit card payments independently with Wave. There have been no up front costs, and it appeared to work when I invoiced myself and then paid the invoice, they just took a 1.4%+20p fee, which I was expecting.

I have yet to use it for a guest payment, but I like having the credit card icons on my website (makes it seem more official somehow) and although its a bit more fiddly, its cheaper than paying the free to book fee for setting it up with their system. Also, as Larry says, you have a bit more control than if a guest were to book and pay instantly through free to book, just in case the quote is wrong or the week is not available or something.
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Thanks both. I did go ahead with wave last week and invoiced myself a test amount and as I reported in the other Wave thread it seems to be going through OK. Payment should transfer to my bank account by tomorrow, so if that goes smoothly I will add the fact that we can accept cc and logos to our website.