can we talk shower cubicle cleaning please?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Martha

Post by Martha »

Another vote for Karcher window vac
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

Another karcher fan here I picked one up in Saintsbury on offer at 40 GBP last month.

Thanks for Aldi anti cal tip just tried it absolutely brilliant my taps are now sparkling
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Oh dear ....I'm about to buck the trend. I have a karcher window cleaner and it's useful for sipping up the water but leaves streaks from the rubber.

I've said this before but I've yet to find a really easy way to clean glass without leaving streaks or smudgy bits.
Yes they LOOK clean.....but then when the light hits them I see smudges etc. And I've tried all ways; vinegar, paper, micro cloths, boiled water, window cleaners......and still I see marks when the sun it's them.
Sigh.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Mousie, that suggests that your glass isn't wet enough. If it's too dry, you'll get streaks; also if you've got bits of fluff caught up in the rubber squeegee end. But if the glass is really wet, the karcher shouldn't leave anything behind.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Must report back my shower glass was fab on last changeover.

Wiped glass from top to bottom with thick mf cloth (hot water then wrung out - no detergent).
Then wiped dry with clean teatowel.
Then polished with clean dry mf cloth.

No streaks - glass really really clear - even when the evening sun hit it!

Mouse am wondering if rubber strip on your window cleaner is disintegrating?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

French Cricket wrote:Mousie, that suggests that your glass isn't wet enough. If it's too dry, you'll get streaks; also if you've got bits of fluff caught up in the rubber squeegee end. But if the glass is really wet, the karcher shouldn't leave anything behind.
Oh FC you might be right! I will love you for ever if that's what the problem is. Windows are the bain of my life :roll:

Tavi....nice to hear you got a result!

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
OrangeBlossom

shower cubicle and glass cleaning

Post by OrangeBlossom »

Surprised no-one's mentioned it but years ago when working as a chamber maid in a hotel in Greece I learnt to use newspaper to clean glass. Assuming you have free newspapers where you are, it's free and it leaves the glass. mirrors etc more streak free than any cloth or rubber scraper I've ever tried. Unlike paper such as kitchen towel, it doesn't leave little bits of fluff on the glass. It's not so great on tiles though, cos bits of dirt or newsprint come off on the grout.

You shouldn't need to vacuum first ; newspaper is pretty good at picking up light debris. Will have to try it with the Aldi anti-limescale stuff.

I turn the shower on briefly to steam up the glass, spray with diluted white vinegar, scrape off with a rubber thingy then polish with the paper.
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

Based on this thread, I've just invested in the Karcher cleaner and I love it for my showers - thank you FC!

I got really motivated with it at first (kid with new toy :D ) and cleaned everything in sight - getting on for 50 windows here!!! After a while it started to leave streaks - you need to regularly clean the rubber squeegy, especially if you've been cleaning quite dirty windows (they were round the back of my house - nothing dirty in the gites, of course 8) )

Polish off with a MF cloth and they're great.

But the real bonus is for the tiles - so quick and efficient!

Don't forget to charge it up before Saturday changeover tho' :oops:
Lets Go To Puglia

Post by Lets Go To Puglia »

gitemontjoly wrote:Aldi anti limescale spray cleaner and a dry cloth... works a treat on our 3 cubicles, 1 bath and 1 tiled shower... 5 min good wipe and it's sparkling!
Ditto ... although not Aldi as there are no Aldi here in Salento, Puglia. Vileda Magical Idrorepellente works the same way. Discovered it when trying to clean the new en-suite shower which has a shower head fixed to the wall so we cannot spray the doors. It works a treat, now using it in all the bathrooms
Ciao, Debbie

Puglia Holiday Villas Facebook Page
---------------------
It's not the things you did you look back on and regret it's the things you didn't do!