When guests have to leave in a hurry.

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
joddle

When guests have to leave in a hurry.

Post by joddle »

In my T&Cs I advise people they should consider taking out travel insurance in case of problems en route, sickness and issues of availability beyond the control of the owners but I never actually then ask if they have heeded that.

Recently I had a booking for over 3 weeks but after just one week, due to the critical medical condition of a close relative at home, the guests had to leave. A very sad situation and one in which the relative died very soon after they had returned.

They did not actually ask for any form of refund but I could tell in the tone of the voice they had hopes of something and indeed I did feel sorry for them. Later by email I suggested they examine their insurance to see if they could get anything back. I also said I would try my hardest to re-let the property in the hope I might be able to then offer something.

A little later I did in fact get a response to my ad for a "bargain offer" and one which covered one of the weeks they were vacating and also for a week after they would have left. This meant I would in fact get paid twice for just one of the weeks and so felt I could offer that money back to the people which is in fact what I did.

The guests had said already they wish to return sometime but of course things are still a bit raw for them to make a decision regarding exactly when. If they wished to come during our quieter season then I am prepared to offer them a discount as they are in fact returnng guests and that is my normal policy. anyway.

This time I was caught on the hop as I have never had an occasion like this so had no idea how I would respond and although I feel I did the right thing, several people have suggested I am "too soft" and should have done nothing and simply kept the money as "its not my fault they had a problem" and that "they should have ensured they had insurance to cover such things" - and maybe that's true - but what do others think? or what would you have done?
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

My policy is to refund if I can re-let the week so I'd have done the same.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Yes I would have done the same too, it is hard...especially with illness. We're all human after all but basically I try and think logically. If I'm unlikely to see them back then it is like putting my money in to a strangers pocket.

I also put myself in their position and see if I would expect what they do. I rarely do.

I think you acted decently.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I'd have done the same too, Joddle. I think we have a moral, if not a legal responsibility to try and mitigate our losses from a cancellation or curtailment, but equally not to profit from somebody's misfortune. So I'm with you.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

+1
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

+2
joddle

Post by joddle »

Its most heartening to read those responses - and that make me feel a lot happier. I also had to cancel a holiday once in Germany due to a serious issue but got no sympathy from the owner who did (as I later found out) rent the place again for the entire period but no thought of a return to me! I think I would rather think of myself as the same as the people who have responded here and I very much appreciate all the comments made.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I also would have done exactly the same as you joddle, in fact I would probably have offered to refund the additional money or offer it to them as reduction on a future holiday. That way the have something to look forward to after their traumatic time, they feel less guilty about taking a holiday and you still retain the money.
joddle

Post by joddle »

Dusty wrote:I also would have done exactly the same as you joddle, in fact I would probably have offered to refund the additional money or offer it to them as reduction on a future holiday. That way the have something to look forward to after their traumatic time, they feel less guilty about taking a holiday and you still retain the money.
That's almost exactly what I intend to do - they have already said they will be coming back and I had already offered to pay them the week back or allow them to put it towards another holiday (they opted for the cash so I sent it). When they decide on some dates I will offer be able to offer them a pretty good discount over and above a normal returning visitor rate but until I know when that will be its hard to say exactly what I can afford to offer.
aasta

Post by aasta »

Ditto...we also recently experienced a similar situation and were able to refund most of the guests payment by re-booking...that guests insurance was not adequate... so we have now put in our T&C a rather wordy explanation as to why and what kind of travel insurance is strongly recommended
aasta
Jemima Copping

Post by Jemima Copping »

I had guests cancel last year after paying balance, because of a cancer diagnosis. They had insurance and got their money back, and I managed to relet, but I offered them a free week nonetheless at a later date. So far I haven't heard anything so I imagine the outcome for them wasn't good. I think you have to treat people as you would like to be treated yourself, even though you are running a business.
Better to be mutton dressed as lamb than mutton dressed as mutton!
Lets Go To Puglia

Post by Lets Go To Puglia »

Cymraes wrote:My policy is to refund if I can re-let the week so I'd have done the same.
+1
Ciao, Debbie

Puglia Holiday Villas Facebook Page
---------------------
It's not the things you did you look back on and regret it's the things you didn't do!