Signs?

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
Sammy

Signs?

Post by Sammy »

Quite a few walkers walk past our holiday let, especially during the summer. I wonder if I am missing a trick here - I am toying with the idea of displaying my Visit Wales star sign on the wall, to indicate that the cottage is a holiday let.
My only concern is whether I am just advertising the fact that when there is no car there, then the cottage is empty and a possible target for a burglary etc.
What do you think - am I just being paranoid?
Sam
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I saw a lot of this in the dales and lake district. I do think it's quite powerful to see the property in real life, so to speak.
If it were me I would take the risk.
I'm not sure a holiday cottage would be anymore attractive to a burglar than a non holiday one withough a car. I assume there'd be less elecricals to go at, and maybe less cash possibly a safe?
You could display one of those false wall boxes for an alarm.

Here we have a big problem as all the thieves are interested in are the phones and passports (and laptops if they get lucky). They do the same places over and over in the summer. It's a nightmare for owners of remote'is villas.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
French Cricket

Re: Signs?

Post by French Cricket »

Sammy wrote: My only concern is whether I am just advertising the fact that when there is no car there, then the cottage is empty and a possible target for a burglary etc.
Sam
But isn't that the case whether it's flagged as a holiday let or not?

I think it's a great idea, Sammy. It's done at lot over here, with phone numbers and sometimes (where the owner is one of those rare beings who've emerged from the 20th century) a website. And I actually booked a gite that we once passed on a walk, so I can vouch for the fact that it works!
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I've considered it and ultimately rejected the idea.

I'm not that concerned about break in - there is little of interest in an empty holiday let. No cash. jewellery or personal electronics. I am however far more concerned about squatters.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Good idea and common in france. I've not been able to do it as I would be advertising outside a block of apartments which also belong to others so seems wrong.

Showing your website url would be best and allow people to take a look on a smart phone as they go past. I would have thought holiday homes are less of a security risk when empty than one which is lived in. Normally less valuables on offer to thieves.