A bit of excitement!!!

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Sue Dyer

A bit of excitement!!!

Post by Sue Dyer »

Played a message on my answer machine and it was a researcher from the BBC. She said she'd seen a photo on my website photo album of boathouses on Holy Island and they may be interested in using it on a programme! :shock:

I wondered if it was someone winding me up but when I rang back it seemed genuine. I emailed the original of the photo to a bbc email address - apparently its The Culture Show and they will update me when they see if the photo is what they want.

My husband is a bit put out as he has lost lots of weight since then but is up for his moment of fame and mine as a top BBC photographer!!! Out of interst I did a google search on "boat houses Holy Island" and there is Dave at No 1... I'll keep you informed!!! Dave say's as long as they don't ring back and say they have some money in Nigeria...... :)
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Maybe they'll offer to pay you by sending you a check that's too large and then asking you to send them the difference...

:)

Just kidding. That's amazing! So this is a TV show?
Brooke
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

hi Brooke :)

It is a BBC TV show http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/cultureshow/
There is a feature on the page about digital photography so maybe it ties in with that?? Dave has been calling me David Bailey and Lord Snowdon all weekend!!

I checked out the name I had to email to and he is a BBC producer.... don't know if I'll hear anything on Monday. Now if they wanted to pay me lots of money to hire the cottage for filming something instead that would be cool!!!
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Well done, Sue (and slim-line hubby)! Maybe it will be the BRITs next year :D

Christine
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I've already had my 15 mins of fame I think. I once took part in a documentary on comedy fans for local ITV station. It was when I dealt with comedian Sean's Hughes fan mail and correspondence, I was interviewed about the different type of fans Sean had and how they reacted. Pretty nerve racking having a tv crew in your house... I actually missed the broadcast (was happy too!) but people kept coming up and saying they'd seen me on telly. :(

Anyone else have their TV or claim to fame to share? My other claim to fame is I won a holiday on an aftershave comp writing a terrible slogan! :)
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

My partner, John, made it onto John Craven's newround when he was interviewed by one of the local school kids about the impact of Foot and Mouth on local businesses. Not a direct 15 minutes of fame, but I got a bit of the glow!

Christine
Linda Freese

Post by Linda Freese »

I hate to admit it but I was a regular on Top of the Pops in my teens. Now and again I spot myself on TOTP2 (BBC Gold) dancing to Ian Drury's "Hit me with your rythym stick".... :oops:
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Linda - ha!! :) did you used to pogo to it??

Nothing further on the photo - another in life's daily diet of disapointment :( (you can tell I'm a glass half empty person!)
tansy

Post by tansy »

Mine was when I was managing the Portland Hotel in 1984 in Chesterfield...the last by election where anyone & everyone could stand, Tony Benn won...we had David Sutch (raving Monster Looney Party), Chesterfield sofa party - just to name a few of the 27 candidates that stood. Our Hotel was made HQ by Vincent Hannah and Newsnight (turned out the editor of Newsnight was at the same boarding school as me which was another big coincidence!)...anyway it was bedlam & quite an amazing experience...Maggie Thatcher was the only member of the cabinet who didn't stay...but met everyone you could think of! John Harrison interviewed me for Radio 4 I said without realising it the wittiest remark of the by election.He asked how I was coping with this huge by election and our Hotel being the centre point what did I find the most difficult in keeping up with? Red wine was my answer!...Tony Benn - Fleet Street etc. ...get it? Apparently the MD of the Hotel chain had radio 4 on in his car travelling to work & nearly crashed his car!!

The other one, again radio 4...Phil Archer slaps the arse of his cow...come along there Tansy...my husband this time nearly crashed his car!!
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

Hi Sue,

An old colleague of mine works on that show. I think he's the production co-ordinator - can't remember now. Fingers crossed you get on - want me to have a word?! :lol:

Which leads me to my "15mins". As some of you know already, I spent many years working on TV game shows, buying the prizes. Yup - someone had to do it... My folks still love seeing my name on the credits on the repeats on ChallengeTV :lol: .

T'other half is the proper minor celeb though. He presents a daily slot on Radio 2 about websites. :)
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Wow!! It's all coming out now, our lives in the media spotlight!!
Mrs M - okay about the pic, I know these shows have lots of ideas that don't come to anything.
Tansy - you should do stand up!

On media fame, I'm thrilled as I've just had some press releases printed for my friends band... not the NME or Q - The Berwick Advertiser and Northumberland Gazette! Ah, you have to start somewhere I guess :) Mind, it's news (seriously) if someone doesn't stop at a red light for these rural weeklies so they're glad of any news. I remember the front page of the Gazette just after 9/11 - it had 3/4 page with pics about a barn burning down on the coast then a tiny column at the bottom saying an Alnwick man had been in New York at the time of the attack. Don't you love regional papers.. ?
Maggiem

Post by Maggiem »

DivineMrsM wrote:
T'other half is the proper minor celeb though. He presents a daily slot on Radio 2 about websites. :)
Not Miles Mendoza?? (Sorry if I've got the spelling wrong!) Have I just blown my street cred by admitting that I listen to Steve Wright - but only when I'm driving!?

I was on telly with Laurence Llewelyn Bowen, he decorated an old oil pump for me!

Maggie
MadDogWoman

Post by MadDogWoman »

I once told Nigel Havers I DID NOT want to have my photograph taken with him, when he asked me (sorry to butt in and change the subject a bit). He was, needless to say, a bit put out!!! This is my claim to fame!!!! :lol: :lol:
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Nigel Havers - Ha!!! He is a standing joke with my quiz team. If we didn't know an actors name we used to put "Nigel Havers" as the answer. One night unexpectedly it was correct and of course we thought this was hilarious. ah, you just had to be there.....

That is so funny that he tried to get a photo with you. I was once forced to get The Spinners autograph!!! (Remember them? folkie group) I was about 15 and went along with my mam and sister who was a big fan. Sis went to the dressing room after the gig for autographs but I just lurked at the door feeling uncool. (yeah, I was so cool then, into Leo Sayer :) ) One of the guys spotted me and presumed I was too shy to meet them so came and led me over and they all signed a ticket stub for me... Luckily no one had a camera.
DivineMrsM

Post by DivineMrsM »

Maggiem wrote:
DivineMrsM wrote:
Not Miles Mendoza?? (Sorry if I've got the spelling wrong!) Have I just blown my street cred by admitting that I listen to Steve Wright - but only when I'm driving!?

I was on telly with Laurence Llewelyn Bowen, he decorated an old oil pump for me!

Maggie
Yup - that's him. Keeps him off the streets... :lol:

Laurence double-barrel eh? I've always rather liked him. Good sense of humour and happy to poke fun at himself. His wife's quite intimidating though...!
Lynne
for Metropolitan Retreat in London https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6712284
and
Le Cheval Blanc in France https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/6714302