Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

What is the best option?

Personal websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bassman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: What is the best option? Reply with quote

At the moment i have separate websites for my French & English clients the French site has a (.fr) & UK a (.co.uk).
Is this the best option or would it be better with just one site with English & French pages.
Most of my French guests come in groups between October & June and the UK guest the summer in families. My thought were that the description on the home page for SEO was very different so it was better to have separate sites?
French Cricket

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same thing, Bassman (.com for English language and .fr for French) and it seems to work well. I basically mirror the site structure so that each site looks roughly the same and has the same photos, but things like the site description etc are unique to each language. If I had all the time in the world (ha!) I'd rename all the images and add separate alt tags. But I haven't. So I probably won't.

And all that reminds me - French site is in renovation - must finish the job ... aaargh.
Bassman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

French Cricket wrote:
I have the same thing, Bassman (.com for English language and .fr for French) and it seems to work well. I basically mirror the site structure so that each site looks roughly the same and has the same photos, but things like the site description etc are unique to each language. If I had all the time in the world (ha!) I'd rename all the images and add separate alt tags. But I haven't. So I probably won't.

And all that reminds me - French site is in renovation - must finish the job ... aaargh.

It does take forever.....ive never been happy with any of my sites and because of that hadnt finished them off, always bits missing! My new site im quite happy with so determined to finish it properly then start on the French site. Probably by then i would have had enough and wouldnt get around to renaming the images.
Still cant work out how to add an alt tag with my software
casasantoestevo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seo for multilingual sites
Advice from from Google
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/182192?hl=en
https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2012/05/multilingual-and-multinational-site.html

Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
kevsboredagain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best option? Reply with quote

Bassman wrote:
At the moment i have separate websites for my French & English clients the French site has a (.fr) & UK a (.co.uk).
Is this the best option or would it be better with just one site with English & French pages.
Most of my French guests come in groups between October & June and the UK guest the summer in families. My thought were that the description on the home page for SEO was very different so it was better to have separate sites?

I tried it with a .com and .co.uk and came to no solid conclusions. After a couple of years I just let the .co.uk expire and stuck with .com, which is split into 3 languages.

In theory a .fr site should appear before a .com for someone searching in France. Just how big that advantage is has proven impossible to gauge for such a small hit count.
Bassman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best option? Reply with quote

kevsboredagain wrote:
Bassman wrote:

I tried it with a .com and .co.uk and came to no solid conclusions. After a couple of years I just let the .co.uk expire and stuck with .com, which is split into 3 languages.

In theory a .fr site should appear before a .com for someone searching in France. Just how big that advantage is has proven impossible to gauge for such a small hit count.

Thanks Kev so i may as well stick to what i have which is having two different site
Personal websites