How many beds?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
LeeH

How many beds?

Post by LeeH »

Hi!

Newbie, here! This is my first post. *waves*

My wife and I are just about to complete on the purchase of our first holiday let property and we had someone from a letting company out to view the property, largely for pricing purposes.

Our intention was to have a double/queen bed in the smaller of the two rooms for adults, and to have a fullsize bunk and a single in the larger of the two bedrooms to accommodate up to 3 children. The advice we had back was to ditch the bunk and have 2 singles, so that it would appeal to 2 couples.

That surprised us, as we thought that appealing to a family of 5 would get us more interest.

You've all been at this for much longer than us (obviously!). What are your thoughts?
I detest raisins, sultanas and other dried fruit, but you just try to keep me away from the mince pies!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I'm not keen on bunk beds; they remind me too much of hostel accommodation. Why not have two singles, with a pull out guest bed underneath one of singles. That way you can appeal to both.

Maybe you do not have enough space. I have two singles and the pull out guest bed raises up to the same height so you could arrange it as one very big triple bed for children which I sometimes do, but with single bedding on each.

Welcome by the way.
Last edited by Bunny on Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

I would have 2 singles with a pullout under one if there is room. Bunks are usually not full singles therefore adults will not use them.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Not sure what you mean by a "Queen" bed as that isn't a standard UK size. Check out the UK bed sizes - double, king and superking.

Rather than setting out to appeal to a very limited market with 3 children sharing one bedroom, you'd have a much bigger market if you can accommodate a couple with 2 children, or 2 couples. However, for adults a single bed is 3ft wide - not the 2ft 6in of a child's bed. If you can fit two 3ft singles in, you may well be able to fit a 6ft wide zip/link so you can accommodate 2 couples in doubles. If you can only fit 2ft 6in singles make sure you are absolutely clear on your website and advertising as to what you are providing - ie not a standard adult single. If 4 adults arrive justifiably expecting 3ft single beds and are confronted with children's beds there's a very good chance of facing a valid complaint and compensation claim.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

A Queen is the old name for a 5' wide bed, now known as King. Double is 4'6". As Patrick says the bigger beds you can fit the better. I concur that your market will be best served by a combination of zipped links or a double and two singles, not bunks. Five people might fill your school holidays but you'll fill them anyway. You need to maximise your season out of school holidays and appealing to couples, two couples, friends, inter-generations etc is a much wider market. I'd only have bunks if I'd needed them for my own family, having five of us, but by the time I bought our properties we no longer all went on holiday together.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I agree bunks are a no-no. Two singles are much more flexible in terms of different sex, young teenage children in a family sharing, a couple who can push them together etc. etc.

There is also, surely in this day and age, an issue with bunk beds being non-health and safety - little darling might fall out, off etc.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

GillianF wrote:
There is also, surely in this day and age, an issue with bunk beds being non-health and safety - little darling might fall out, off etc.
Now there's a benefit I hadn't considered.... :twisted:
LeeH

Post by LeeH »

Thanks for your advice, everyone. I thought that the "no bunk beds" advice from the agency was odd, considering they would be full-size, not smaller child versions, but it's interesting to see their advice backed up, here.

*ponders*...
I detest raisins, sultanas and other dried fruit, but you just try to keep me away from the mince pies!
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I am with the others and would avoid bunk beds, another thing to bear in mind and something that has been pointed out by a number of our renters is that the taller of them prefer beds with no footboards, so that they can hang their feet over the end.