Bookings down in Southern France?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
ronsat

Bookings down in Southern France?

Post by ronsat »

We are getting way fewer bookings this year - down about 50% from last year (which was an extraordinarily good year). Not even seeing enquiries - despite the fact that we have a lot of good reviews on HL/TA. Our place is in Neffies - near Pezenas - in Languedoc. Our caretaker says that the number of tourists in Neffies is way down since last year. Last year - all the inns and vacation rentals were totally booked - and this year things are often empty.

Are people in other areas seeing the same thing?
We are Canadians who love spending time in Languedoc.
http://www.languedocvacationhome.ca
Mas Nialgue

Post by Mas Nialgue »

You just can never tell...........I am near Ceret by the way in the PO.

Last year was my worst in 5 years of renting, no apparent reason, but then this year is probably my best, again no apparent reason. I guess my property is fairly remote and unique and large and doesn't suit everyone, so it depends on who is looking for what in the area.

I have decided to pack in private rentals from next year as I am fed up with having to move out and find somewhere to stay as the house is my main residence. I will continue to do low key B&B for people I know and friends but not the public. Up yours OD!

As you can glean from the above don't panic, in my limited experience this business is fickle and you could see a complete turnaround over the next 12 months. Here, Ceret always seems to be a popular tourist destination and I hear more English spoken than I like around the town.
chipiechoo

Post by chipiechoo »

In a word yes. But having said that we are fairly well booked for this year, all bookings came through between August 2015 and March 2016. No enquiries from OD since April and they didn't proceed. Certainly dead from our point of view. Have 2 weeks that we would very much like to shift August 27 to Sept 10, if anybody is interested. Our property is for a couple only, being 1 bedroom.
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

in the Charente our worst season ever in the gites - still a high level of regulars, but for first time ever our family gite is now empty till 23rd July & our Gite for 2 will be empty for a week from Friday. No new gite enquiries from any source for months. Several reasons we think a) terror attacks in November caused many to think they would wait, though we took all of our new enquiries between Nov & March. b)Then of course the strikes - in our region flights have been cancelled during 46 days over last 4 months.....media hype about petrol shortages etc - we had several French, Belgian & german business travellers cancel B&B bookings c) flooding - again several Parisian B&B cancellations as A10 closed for 1 week d) refugee problems at channel ports over-reported in UK media, so people are thinking about avoiding France currently & now of course the football - we have experienced quiet periods due to football & rugby tournaments previously, though surprisingly we were full during 2012 London Olympics. Lastly too much competition for too few guests - when we started on OD 11yrs ago there were 24 of us listed in our dept, now nearly 400 of us - all with availability..... Am hoping that summer will arrive sometime soon to make the Dutch belgian & French start thinking about last minute bookings.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I am in Spain and a bit up on last year. My neighbouring villas are with agents and done about 1 let each ytd - I think renters have wiset up and started booking direct. Agents prices are c double mine.