airbnb

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
rotaman

airbnb

Post by rotaman »

Has anyone ever use airbnb to let off there holiday home, if so how good is it? I know they charge 3% for eash booking.
canal boating 'the fastest way to slow down'
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I've had a few bookings through there, all for 1 week or more. During the first 2 or 3 years I was on there I had nothing. The commission is fairly low but I think they also charge the guest a juicy fee. The site might be geared more towards shorter stays but I view it as cheap advertising with very little to lose.

One thing I don't like is the cancellation policy, which is way too short. I therefore use slightly higher prices on AirBnb to cover the risk.
GRL

Post by GRL »

I get a few bookings and have just had the week before Christmas booked through them by an Aussie couple who will be visiting their son near Paris over Christmas itself :) I would prefer my own cancellation policy but there we go - as long as no-one cancels it brings in a bit of income for me at no subscription cost so I suppose that is the risk you take.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

We just took our first booking yesterday. I don't like some things about it. Can anyone help me understand how I can charge a damage deposit? Or do I have to rely on feedback as a deterrent?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

ianh100 wrote:We just took our first booking yesterday. I don't like some things about it. Can anyone help me understand how I can charge a damage deposit? Or do I have to rely on feedback as a deterrent?
You find that in the pricing section under additional pricing options.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Thanks Kev

I can now see that I had selected that when I set it up. It reads like we retain ability to request a charge against them rather than them having to pay and it be returned. I am OK with that as it is an admin pain having to send deposits back.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

ianh100 wrote:Thanks Kev

I can now see that I had selected that when I set it up. It reads like we retain ability to request a charge against them rather than them having to pay and it be returned. I am OK with that as it is an admin pain having to send deposits back.
Yes, I think you have to report damage to Airbnb within so many days. I've luckily never had to do this so have no idea about the exact procedure. It does make it easier in that there's no deposit to return personally.