Wasps' nest

For anything to do with the garden and pool
AngloDutch

Wasps' nest

Post by AngloDutch »

We have discovered a wasps' nest in the wall in the vicinity of an upstairs bedroom window (not at the guest accommodation) and have heard that it is best to wait until around an hour after dusk until they are all inside before placing powder at the nest entrance. Though many years ago we got a guy to come around and deal with them. At the time he said that you can also inject powder into the nest during daylight hours as the wasps flying back will just take the powder into the nest on their feet.

There is thick ivy growing on the wall next to the window, and we haven't yet managed to locate the actual entrance (or series of entrances which they are using).

Does anyone have any experiences of treating wasps in this situation?

We were thinking of throwing the powder into the general vicinity of the nest entrance from the open window and hoping that it will work? Or do you have to squirt the powder right into the entrance? If so, it will be difficult to do that from the open window and we are not going to try and attempt that on a ladder, in case they swarm.

My OH was certain that it was a small nest, so banged on the inside of the bedroom wall (with the window shut!) to prove that it would be quite large now at the middle of July.
After a while a large number of wasps charged out and you could hear them slamming into the glass as they tried to get at me on the other side. Reminded me of that 70's film 'The Swarm' :shock:
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

I deal with very small nests that are really easy to get to (and run from) myself; anything else i would get someone in to do it